Traps to catch fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a skunk clown and a pseudochromis, the only fish in my tank, which appear to have ich (grainy white spots on fins and tail). Appeared overnight, and looks like alot! I can't use copper due to my live rock and inverts (hermits and snails). I was going to treat via fresh water dips while I get a QT set up, but I can't catch the little guys! With my live rock, it's tough getting them with the net.

Any successful traps anyone can recommend? I tried netting them while feeding, but they are too smart. And I'm trying to avoid having to take out all my rocks to catch them.

Well, I tried this trap method. My skunk was smart enough to stay away. Unfortunately, my pseudo was even smarter, in that after 15 minutes of swimming around the bottle he found his way in to get the "bait", but swam out before I could even get near the fish tank!

Looks like I'll have to empty out most of the water and rocks in hopes of netting them, before the ick takes too strong a hold.

You can take a wide mouth 2 liter coke bottle or like and cut it into just above the label and put it back together with the pour spout turned into the bottle and glue it in place.Put some food in and the fish should get trapped in side when it goes for the food

Ducky said:
You can take a wide mouth 2 liter coke bottle or like and cut it into just above the label and put it back together with the pour spout turned into the bottle and glue it in place.Put some food in and the fish should get trapped in side when it goes for the food
To add to this, you can cut the lid to a large enough size that he can get in, if need be.

Thanks folks...this is exactly what I tried. The pseudochromi eventually found his way in, but was also able to find his way out before I could react in time! He's a slick one!

And the clown wasn't even going near the bottle, even though I knew it was willing to eat.

I'll try one more time tonight!

When I had to remove my fish due to ick, I moved all the rock to one end of the tank waited a few days and fed in the same spot ( the end with no rock) When the fish came to eat I put in a divider and my 6foot tank became a 3foot tank with no rock.

Have you tried garlic? One of the better LFS suggested when they have ICH and you move them to QT you cause more stress. Which lowers the immune system even more. I have used Extreme Garlic on the food and in the water. After stocking my 180 Gal I used 2 bottles over 2 months and keep some on hand to use at the first signs of stress.

tmkx3 said:
Garlic will not cure ick. It can help in the treatment but is not a cure
I agree with you. Great for boosting their immune system and inducing an eating response, too.

tmkx3 said:
Garlic will not cure ick. It can help in the treatment but is not a cure
I don't know, it's worked for me. While it took 2 months to treat my newly stocked 180 GAL predator reef, I have not lost a salt water fish to ICK. Other problems like not eating or stress yes, but not ICK alone. I have almost 300 GAL of salt water aquariums running at this time, not counting sumps Ect. All I'm stating is, dragging a sick fish from one aquarium to a another is more stressful than treating the aquarium they are already established in. By all means use copper or HYPO in a OT tank and let me know how you do. :drain: Maybe a little draino would help?

Back
Top Bottom