Treating Ich in Scaleless fish Tank? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
So problems hitting me one after another. Now I have an ich outbreak in my tank. I raised the temperature to 30c (86f) slowly. Turned off lights. Started feeding fish ginger and garlic powder mixed with there food to boost there immune system. I have very effective ich medicine but now I have ghost knife fish which is very sensitive to salt and ich medicines.

Please suggest me step by step method on how to remove ich from my tank? Can I do it without ich medicine or salt? Is it even possible?

Water parameters as of today:

Temperature 86
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 20

Please help. Thanks.

I've done it with just heat and massive vacumn/water changes because I had cories and a pleco.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've done it with just heat and massive vacumn/water changes because I had cories and a pleco.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thanks. So how often you change water and how much?

Got mine on Amazon, next day it for a couple bucks. I've used it twice successfully. Nothing scaleless or really delicate. Bristle nose plecos actually.. they didn't mind;) it will turn the silicone greenish blue for a few months. Better than dead fish though;) see.. I'm not all that bad:p

I have used Rid Ich Plus for years
The only tank that I used it in was my 135/180 gallon that had my clown loaches and cories [they were not infected].
I start with 50% at least water change.With out new clean water NO med will work effectively.Some are even completely mitigated by poor water conditions ,then just contributing to the problem IMO.
Next I add 1/2 dose to the tank.
Day 2 if the scaless fish look good I change water like meds say and go full strength...
I have never lost a fish to the meds in this process. I have also cured ich about as fast as possible ,which the heat will not....
It is my opinion and how I care for my fish ,but I will not add salt or raise temp alone with out meds for a treatment..Many meds say it is not necessary to raise temp for them to be effective.They know how stressful the heat can be on fish...Think about it.
IMO the heat for 2++ weeks is way more stressful for the fish then a simple proper treatment. Not to mention while the fish are stressed by the heat they are also still infected by the parasite that can kill them..
IMO the heat is very questionable in ich treatment if the infection has gained a good hold and you are not hot enough [ I actually think 87] you are only helping the ich..IT LOVES warm water like MANY bacterias...
Know the enemy..Learn the life cycyle of ich and the most effective two meds in combo..
Hate to see the tank blow up with ich because you are only 84...ICH LOVES HEAT till you give it enough to kill it.
It speeds up ichs life cycle which is only good if it dies,since if it doesn't you have saturated your tank with little ichs! It will kill your fish if you don't kill it.

On the list of fish problems and diseases ich gets a 2 out of 10..Don't make more out this then it needs to be .Just kill it.

All fish are now ich free. Let's see.

I wouldn't make that statement just yet give yourself a few days to be 100% sure .
remember the rabbit he never got to the finish line as he took the short cut and cheated,
but the turtle did cross the finish line as he didn't cheat and all was grand ,

I wouldn't make that statement just yet give yourself a few days to be 100% sure .
remember the rabbit he never got to the finish line as he took the short cut and cheated,
but the turtle did cross the finish line as he didn't cheat and all was grand ,
Yes I am keeping the temperature at 86 for total two weeks and then will gradually lower and will keep an eye on fish.

No... no... no... one or the other. The meds or temp. The fish are stressed by either or. Both will most likely be counter productive.

No... no... no... one or the other. The meds or temp. The fish are stressed by either or. Both will most likely be counter productive.
Did water changes and now treating with heat. I hope medicine is not left anymore

Back
Top Bottom