"Treating" new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry53

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I was advised by a fish breeder to treat them one time with Melafix, or Paraguard one time after receiving them. I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on this, or if anyone uses a different product when receiving new fish as a preventative measure.

I just realized it would probably also be useful to say that the fish are being shipped in the mail, not just taking an hr. drive.

I would just QT them if I was apprehensive..Meds for no good reason is how resistant strains are created .The fixes are useless IMO.Waste of money when water changes are basically free...

Ok, the explanation was that all tanks have "virus" and the fish will be weakened from fasting for a couple days before shipping, then their journey to my house. I definitely hear the point that clean water is the best/cheapest preventative/cure.

Ok, the explanation was that all tanks have "virus" and the fish will be weakened from fasting for a couple days before shipping, then their journey to my house. I definitely hear the point that clean water is the best/cheapest preventative/cure.
If they are the type to stand warmer water, I'd turn the the heat up on your tank to about 86 degrees (to me it helps with stress from shipping) leave it there for about a week. And what kinda virus? I do agree with water changes and qt tank. But when they already have a virus, as far as using meds. Need to know what kinda virus your dealing with before you try to treat it. Different meds for different illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom