Trewavasae taking over tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there I have a 72 gallon overstocked for aggression purposes with 22 mbuna and all has been great for 2 months. Zebras did little chasing of their own type but nothing bad. Well this weekend I found a store that had fish I never see local to me so I grabbed 2 male labeo trewavasae. One chiilumba and one thumbi island. Both males I think. I wanted to get them a lil bigger than the cobalt zebras and demasoni male I have and they are the 2 biggest now by small amount w exception of yellow lab male. All was well for 4 days and now today they both chase all the other fish (mostly the larger ones leaving small alone) up and down whole length of tank. It's annoying because they're not protecting a cave or anything they just sprint and chase all the other medium to large fish the length of the tank, Kenyi and auratus included (labeos are bigger for now). I feel bad for all the original fish but it seems to be raising all their aggression as well towards their subordinates now. I I rearranged ALL the rocks in there before I put the fish in. To remedy do I may e add 1 more fish that's bigger than these guys? This worked on my demasoni and the bigger fish was a lab I added! Or do I just rehome them for something smaller? Or just let it play out as this is how it'll likely be as the others mature anyway?

I have a male trewavasae in my 180 mixed tank and he is the most aggressive fish i have in there. He even bullies my male bumblebee which is 3 inches bigger than him. When i first noticed him being aggressive i put him in a breeder net inside the tank for a day, kinda a time out persay. It seemed to lower his aggression a bit when i released him back in the tank. He is still a little hellion though. If it gets any worse i would rehome them. Good luck to you!

I have a male trewavasae in my 180 mixed tank and he is the most aggressive fish i have in there. He even bullies my male bumblebee which is 3 inches bigger than him. When i first noticed him being aggressive i put him in a breeder net inside the tank for a day, kinda a time out persay. It seemed to lower his aggression a bit when i released him back in the tank. He is still a little hellion though. If it gets any worse i would rehome them. Good luck to you!

Thanks! It stinks because he's such a beautiful purple and orange color and stands out but I'll do that and look for a less nasty replacement if need be.

Oh teagh they are beautiful fish. Mine is stunningly pretty, but the nastiest fish i have ever owned. I had a few females in with him and he tore them up so i had to get rid of them. Very hyper agressive fish.

Back
Top Bottom