Tricky Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeeves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I've gotten some great advice in the past on this site and so I'm coming back.

I've got a 20 gal freshwater tank with a aquaclear 30 filter. I've had the tank running since 3.5 weeks. I have a master API test kit.

I have 2 emerald cories, 4 mickey mouse platys, 1 panda cory and 1 bumblebee catfish. I bought these fish because I was told I needed to start cycling. I also use Prime when I change water and Stability every day, as the bottle directs.

The ammonia rises but has never converted to nitrite. I do water changes when it seems the fish are looking ill. Last night I actually changed 50% because I lost one emerald and the remaining two looked so ill...unmoving, bulging eyes, not eating. They seem much better this morning.

I do clean the bio bag and have squeezed out the sponge from the filter once. Any tips to get us moving to nitrite?

Have you seen any nitrate levels at all?

First off you really need to start testing your water regularly. Going by when your fish look ill means that they are in danger already from dangerous concentrations of ammonia in the water. Try to keep the ammonia level below .5ppm.

I would do another 50% change asap just because it sounds like your levels might still be too high for safety. In fact, I wouldn't bother with less than a 50% water change.

How long have these fish been in the tank?

Take a look at this link. It should help shed some light on the procedure you should follow.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Hi Mebbid,

I haven't seen any nitrite levels at all. I do test at least once a day and don't allow the ammonia to go above .5 ppm. I've looked at the link and it just seems like a waiting game and keeping the fish comfortable until nitrites appear.
Thanks for your advice!:thanks:

If you're using the bottled bacteria it's possible that you're skipping the nitrite stage and moving straight to nitrAtes. Have you tested NitrAtes at all?

Mebbid,

Ooohh! That's a great idea! I was testing for nitrates in the beginning and then stopped because I assumed it would be a waste of time if no nitrites were appearing. I just tested for nitrAtes and and it's at 0 ppm. The ammonia is at .25 ppm. I did a 50% yesterday. Wondering if I should today. The unfortunate thing is that this tank is in a finished basement and the closest sink is upstairs too far away for a easy water change device. I've been using buckets. Nitrite still at 0 ppm, too. Do you think I should do another water change today?

Back
Top Bottom