Tried everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amazonkc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

After a few bouts of fin rot I got an aqua clear filter for my fish tank for my little betta. It kept the water clear for about 5 days. Then I took one scoop of water out and put in a new fresh scoop with water conditioner. The. Next day the water started to get cloudy. I'm also treating him with maracyn. I'm kinda at my witz end. Why is the water cloudy and should I clean the tank again?

Hi there,

After a few bouts of fin rot I got an aqua clear filter for my fish tank for my little betta. It kept the water clear for about 5 days. Then I took one scoop of water out and put in a new fresh scoop with water conditioner. The. Next day the water started to get cloudy. I'm also treating him with maracyn. I'm kinda at my witz end. Why is the water cloudy and should I clean the tank again?

What size tank, how long has it been setup. Could be a bacterial bloom or the meds clouding your water up. When using the Maracyn you don't want to be performing a lot of water changes as your just removing meds and wasting money.

Also be sure to have the carbon removed while treating.

Back to the cloudy water it be one of two things I've mentioned.

It is a 10 gallon tank. I've had it for about 2 months. The filter has three layers, sponge, carbon and these porcelain rocks. I was doing too many tank changes which is what got him sick in the first place which is why I've stopped and only do it once a month now still keeping some of the original water.

Sounds like the filter needs time to grow its beneficial bacteria colony. Your going to have swings until it cycles.

Yes you can rinse the filter material in treated tap water, but don't change it, keep it as Convict said, it is where the BB live!!! You keep it until it falls apart! When you change it you throw out all the good stuff which helps keep your water quality, and it can be a nightmare for you AND the fish. Since I found out about that my tanks have been happy and in good condition.

Watch over feeding and keep good water quality by doing partial water changes (pwc) weekly. Also do your testing to make sure all is well!

I took the carbon out of the filter and have my fish the remaining maracyn (3 packs in 3 days) this morning I wake up to find his bottom fin has started to Frey and the other ones are Showing no sign of repair. What the hell do I do now?

Amazon,

This is what I would do...

Cease administering meds and put the carbon back in. Do two 70% water changes twelve hours apart. In the course of 24 hours, add 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt. Make sure to dissolve the salt in water before adding it into the tank.

Thereafter, do a 50% water change everyday and add one tablespoon of aquarium salt with each 50% water change. Do this until the tank is cycled. The daily water changes will manage the nitrogen cycle so that the ammonia and nitrite do not affect the fish. This combination will also help with the fin issues.

Keep the water between 78 and 80° and feed once a day. It will take some work, but all should turn out well.

Good luck!
David

Thank you DavidAl I will try your suggestion. Feels like I've true everything now haha

@DavidAI how long should I do the daily 50% water changes?

Do you have a test kit? Please get one if you don't have already, for testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, at the minimum.

An Api master test kit is easy to use, just a bit more time but not as much time and trouble as taking care of sick fish, and massive pwc's everyday.

If you can order online they are very reasonable appx. $17 and on some sites, with a $25. purchase you can get free shipping.

If you can not get to order it right away or buy one now, can you take it to a lfs and have them test it and write down what the numbers are? Also pH. Might be useful.

Otherwise, do 30-50% everyday until you can get your test kit.

What are you feeding him? My favorite for Betta is Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, just be very careful in feeding too much. The new formulation pellets are very small now, much better. 3-4 of the smaller size ones, if he eats them, morning 2-3 evening. One less if they are larger.

(they like lots of other things too Hikari freeze dried blood worms, brine shrimp, more stuff but don't want you to give him too much to cause ammonia)

Some brands of foods are awful.

Do you have any snails or clean up guys in there?

Thank you Autumsky. I think that is a great idea. I will add that too my regimen.

Thank you Autumsky. I think that is a great idea. I will add that too my regimen.

After you get the balance in the tank and it is stable, it is relaxing and easy to keep up.

Minimal testing, only weekly water changes, or less if you only have one Betta in a 10G. But that would be after a while when he has been recovered and gets healthy.

The BB and not changing the filter pad on a regular basis really changed my fish tank life!!! And I have fish now that I have had for 3 years, since I put up the tank, and the other tank, and the other tank, and the other tank, etc! LOL

Happy to hear you are taking such great care of him!!!

Ok so I followed everybody's instructions to the letter. I got an aqua clear filter. I did a 70% tank change then did another one 12 hrs later. Then I did a 50% tank change every day. I made sure the tablespoon of salt was disintegrated before putting it in the tank. I also put a bit extra water conditioner because he's sick. I also got a nitrite kit. I did this every day for close to 2 weeks. He was looking great. fins were coming back. Then I got the flu and was not able to change the tank for a few days. At about 4 days or so his fins began tearing again. And now if I leave the tank for more than 2 or 3 days without doing a 50% change he gets fin rot again. Am I doomed to doing tank changes forever and ever until he dies... Or until I do?

Ok so I followed everybody's instructions to the letter. I got an aqua clear filter. I did a 70% tank change then did another one 12 hrs later. Then I did a 50% tank change every day. I made sure the tablespoon of salt was disintegrated before putting it in the tank. I also put a bit extra water conditioner because he's sick. I also got a nitrite kit. I did this every day for close to 2 weeks. He was looking great. fins were coming back. Then I got the flu and was not able to change the tank for a few days. At about 4 days or so his fins began tearing again. And now if I leave the tank for more than 2 or 3 days without doing a 50% change he gets fin rot again. Am I doomed to doing tank changes forever and ever until he dies... Or until I do?

No your not doomed. Just keep at it. Sometimes it does take time. It may have been asked but can you QT it? Remove it and treat it?

If not stay on top of it and I see it getting better. You probably had it beat almost and then you got sick. It happens. Just keep the fight going and don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom