Trimming Anubias - Will new leaves grow from where i trimmed off the old ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to trim off some of the bottom leaves of my massive anubias. I like the overal shape of the plant now, just dont like the look at the bottom due to the GSA that has started to form on the bottom 2/3 of the plant.

If i trim off the bottom 2/3 of the plant, will new leaves grow in the same location as the previous ones, or will the anubias just continue to grow taller and out from the ends of the rhizome?

TIA!!

I refer to this guide to trimming my plants. It is very informative and is nicely illustrated.

Welcome To UKaps - A General Guide To Plant Maintenance

You want to remove the oldest of the rosette leaf formation right at the rhizome. Do this without uprooting the plant. Use your index and middle finger to brace the plant and your thumb to pull down on the leaf. Remove one leaf at a time. There is a nice illustration on the link. :D

New leaves grow from the center of the rosette pushing out the older ones. Your plant won't get taller. It will look thinner after pruning and then fill out as new leaves grow. Be patient as anubias are slow growers. It will be full and lovely again with time.

another cool trick is to put a tiny little knick in the rhizome with a really sharp knife where you want new growth. dont go nuts, you don't want to damage it, just encourage a little growth

Back
Top Bottom