trimming plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know if it is okay for the plant to trim its leafs off as it is growing too big. I'd like the leafs to grow again though ideally .

Also dies floating netted Java moss on the surface encourage faster growth?

Cheers

ForumRunner_20120904_185938.jpg

I wouldn't do it, most plants get their nutrients from the leaves. And the leaves make oxygen.

Trimming plants is what we in the business call "pruning" and it's invaluable.

Not to be done in a superfluous fashion, pruning back leaves conditions the plant to grow fuller, as opposed to taller. The plant "learns" that there is a problem when growing at heights (losing leaves) and will adjust.

As usually trim at the base of the leaf, as some plants will just let a cut leaf rot and die.

Hope this helps.

Okay thank you very much all. Just to be clear I cut the beginning of the leaf not the tip and not the stem itself.

fatfei said:
Okay thank you very much all. Just to be clear I cut the beginning of the leaf not the tip and not the stem itself.

Some plants don't mind the leaf being cut to be safe, cut from the base of the leaf. If you really need to trim back, cutting the stem is fine too. Plants are pretty resilient beings :)

Predfan27 said:
Some plants don't mind the leaf being cut to be safe, cut from the base of the leaf. If you really need to trim back, cutting the stem is fine too. Plants are pretty resilient beings :)

Thank you very much for helping me

Back
Top Bottom