Tropical fish water temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have heard many different things on water temperature.. My 1 gallon tank is at 76 degrees farenheit and my 10 gallon is at 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not sure how thoose temps are I think the 10 g is high and the 1 g I a little cold. I have a I tetra heater and in the big tank I have a cool blue heater. If the temps aren't of how can I change either of them?

It depends on the fish. What are the tanks stocked with?

86 is more than most tropical fish need on an ongoing basis.

Ok thanks! And for my 1 gallon I have 4 cherry shrimp, a rosy minnow, and just put in 3 neon tetras but I think I'm going to take them out... And in my 10 gallon there are guppies, neon tetras, cherry barbs, dwarf garami, glass fish, and 2 sucker fish.

76f should be fine for your 1 gal.

For the 10g I would move it to the upper 70's. In the 75-79 range. Just remember to do this slowly. A few degrees at a time.

I am not familiar with that one. Is it adjustable? If it is an aquarium heater there is typically a knob at the top.

Those are about as bad as it gets for a heater. I would highly suggest investing in an eheim jager heater. They are affordable, reliable, and dependable.

I would also highly advise you to check your stock levels on www.aqadvisor.com your stock levels are a bit wonky and some of the fish are in too small of a tank.

There is no knob. And I will look at that heater! Which fish aren't ok in there?

What size watt do I need for a 10gallon and tank and a 5gallon tank?

It depends how different the tank temp needs to be from your room temp.

If the difference is less than 10F a 25W for the 5g and a 50W for the 10g.

I'm confused on which wattage to get.. And my mom bought 3 neons yesterday from petco and they were unhealthy... 2 dead and one is alive but I think it has ick. Should I just through it out so it doent contaminate the other shrimp and minnow?

I'm confused on which wattage to get.. And my mom bought 3 neons yesterday from petco and they were unhealthy... 2 dead and one is alive but I think it has ick. Should I just through it out so it doent contaminate the other shrimp and minnow?

Have you tested your water parameters? It's unlikely that an outside sickness killed the fish within 1 day of being put in your tank. It's more likely that your tanks parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) are out of control killing the fish.

How long have these tanks been set up?
How did you cycle them?
How often do you do water changes?
How much water do you change at a time?
What are the ammonia and nitrite readings of the tank?

If any tank has a fish with ich in it then all the fish have ich. Inverts are immune to ich. To treat ich you need to raise the temperature of the tank up to 86 degrees Fahrenheit and keep it there for 2 weeks after the last sign of ich goes away. HOWEVER if you have ammonia / nitrite in the tank it will increase the toxicity putting your fish at risk.

It sounds like you have waaaaay too many fish in the 10g. Next, the 1g tank is only big enough to fit a single betta (even that is debated). There aren't any other fish that can live in a tank that small. Also, I'm not positive about it but the "sucker" fish are likely Chinese algae eaters which aren't a good fit for.. well any tank at all.

Nitrite, nitrate, and amonia are at perfect levels. The fish came and looked sick and were breathing fast and just didn't do well...

10 gallon has been up for over 6 months and the 1 gallon for a little over a month. For the one gallon I set it up and put some cheap fish in it to start the cycle. For the big I set it up and started with a few fish and started added more fish after about 2 months. I generally clean tanks once a month and take out about half the water. Now I'm going to take out 1/3 water once a week. Not sure exactly what they are but I know they were at a good level.i feel bad for the fish but I can tell it's not well.. I think I will just flush him so he doesn't contaminate the whole tank.. And I know I have too many in the 10 I just got some because I thoght I was getting a tank in a few days but I'm not until 2 weeks.. In the 1 g I have a fish that's less than 1/2 an inch and 4 cherry shrimp I think they are all females so they won't breed. And I have no clue what the sucker fish is... I have I think ones a Pleco.. Maybe idk but u know it won't get more than 4 inches and the other one is about 3/4 an inch and it's gold with black stripes

Sorry, but how do you know the parameters are perfect if you havent tested them in a while? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate change hourly and with a once monthly cleaning I would be willing to bet that your nitrates are elevated by quite a lot.

I just tested them yesterday night. And I just tested them 5 min ago. They are good and the hardness is going down and the alkalinity is good up.

Back
Top Bottom