Trouble with my Aqueon Evolve Tank... Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hansen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So maybe 3 months ago or so I purchased an Aqueon Evolve 4 tank (4g) for my betta. And since purchasing it 3 of the filters that the kit comes with, The original one simply did not work, the second one (which I got after returning the same day to the store of purchase) quit after about a month, and then I ended up calling Aqueon's customer service. They also ended up sending me a replacement filter. This third filter has since pooped out. I am so beyond frustrated at this point.
I was just wondering (hoping) maybe someone else has felt my pain and found a solution. I really would prefer to just buy an new filter, but because of the way the tank is set up im not sure if i could find a working replacement.

I would probably stop going for another Aqueon filter. Aqueon doesnt make very good filters that Ive read about online so I refrained myself from buying one. For a smaller fish tank there are plenty of other filters that will do better. However, dont hesitate because a betta can live without a filter, IMO. Its a controversial topic but I have helped maintain my sisters betta which she kept in a large vase for almost two years and then I upgraded the housing to a 3 gallon tank. Funny thing is she never cycled or dechlorinated water for the betta and yet its still alive! So I used part of my cycled water when I started the 3 gallon tank and do water changes with dechlorinated water on a weekly basis. Betta is much happier IMO and there is no filter in the tank. What I do is a 40% water change every week. Keeps it clean and prevents ammonia levels from rising, in addition, i stir the sand to release toxic bubbles in the ground. So, if your tank is running and the filter craps out, dont hesitate but I would find a replacement filter as soon as you can because the betta has adjusted to living with a filter in the tank. Goodluck!

You can also baffle the output of a filter to reduce the flow effect. DIY methods using a plastic water bottle are online.

An Aqua Clear filter will work well and be reliable, if you want to get another filter but many Bettas live good lives without a filter. Regular water changes are all they need, and so long as the water has chlorine removed, cycling is moot.. you'll remove enough ammonia with the water changes to keep it below toxic levels.

You can also baffle the output of a filter to reduce the flow effect. DIY methods using a plastic water bottle are online.

An Aqua Clear filter will work well and be reliable, if you want to get another filter but many Bettas live good lives without a filter. Regular water changes are all they need, and so long as the water has chlorine removed, cycling is moot.. you'll remove enough ammonia with the water changes to keep it below toxic levels.

I was going to recommend an aquaclear as well but wouldn't that be overkill for a small tank?

I've used a RED SEA deco art nano filter for a tank under 5 gallon. Pretty decent filter but I can't comment how well it performed since I took down my smal tank years ago. But I did use it for a tank with a betta and ghost shrimp

AC minis are not bad, adjustable, and can be baffled too, with the water bottle trick. Very reliable. I have also heard those Red Sea ones are good, but they are more expensive too, at least, here they are.

AC minis are not bad, adjustable, and can be baffled too, with the water bottle trick. Very reliable. I have also heard those Red Sea ones are good, but they are more expensive too, at least, here they are.

Hmm never knew about a mini aquaclear. I've purchased RS nano online for around $20. The thing is I had to buy the filter accessories online as well. No stores carried them so I gave up on it, but worth the money for use with a smaller tank

That azoo palm filter is only 16 gph. For the evolve 4 I'm thinking you'd need something in the 40-50 gph range. Also if you got a HOB- well... It would hang off the back, and the outflow would go into the back compartment instead of the main tank. Unless you hung it on the side and in that case you wouldn't be able to use the cover on the tank. It would be nice to get something that fits into the space already provided for a pump.
I've been looking into submersible filters like these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23686&rel=1

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Tom-Mini-Internal-Filter-45gph-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/20700441

http://www.thatpetplace.com/ovation..._id=26542551&gclid=CMuWguSznLwCFQt1QgodegUAjg
I'm curious if the spray bar could be removed and the filter output be attached to the inside of the spray bar in the evolve.

Back
Top Bottom