Trying out saltwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering setting up a 30g long saltwater tank and want to know the basics/tips to saltwater aquariums aside from cycling, testing, ect. For the stock (when I stock) I'm thinking 2-3 Kaudern's Cardinals with maybe a urchin like a Red tuxedo urchin.
1) Since the tank is 30 gallons, will I need 30 lbs. of live rock?
2) Is there a recommended filter for FOWLR tanks?
3) What type of lighting is good for this type of tank?
4) What's the neccessary equipment for these types of tanks? UV sterilizers? Sump? Reactor? RO/DI unit?
Thank you in advance! :thanks:

I am considering setting up a 30g long saltwater tank and want to know the basics/tips to saltwater aquariums aside from cycling, testing, ect. For the stock (when I stock) I'm thinking 2-3 Kaudern's Cardinals with maybe a urchin like a Red tuxedo urchin.
1) Since the tank is 30 gallons, will I need 30 lbs. of live rock?
2) Is there a recommended filter for FOWLR tanks?
3) What type of lighting is good for this type of tank?
4) What's the neccessary equipment for these types of tanks? UV sterilizers? Sump? Reactor? RO/DI unit?
Thank you in advance! :thanks:

Cardinals are great! Love them.
You can have as much or as little rock as you like the looks of.
The filter depends on what you have room for. On my 30g FOWLR, I have and ac70 and also an ac30 (this is actually the QT filter, just keep it on there to keep it seeded). Or you can do a sump if you have room. Or you can do a canister if you clean it out every week. If you do a filter rather than a sump, make sure it's rated for at least double the size of the tank.
You can use any light you like on a FOWLR. It can be a simple stock light or go for a nicer one if you want. The fish aren't gonna care. :)
RO or RO/DI water will be needed for SW. If you have an LFS that sells it, you can use that. Or buy a unit for home use.
Skimmers and IV sterilized are necessary, but can be helpful. You don't need them to start, though.
Good luck with the tank! :)

The below thread should have some useful info for you to have a look at if you are thinking of it
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/tips-and-tricks-239103.html

you would need around about 30lbs but wouldnt have to be all live rock as you can buy some cheaper base rock or dry rock. The best filtration you can have on any tank is a sump, as in the previoyus canisters can be used but must be cleaned every week or just turn into a nitrate factory. you can get away with any lighting in a fish only tank really just whatever makes your tank look good. I have fish only at the moment and i have a sump, skimmer, heater, powerhead and seems to be going well so i think anything else isn't neccisary but obviously will help. The RO/DI water is needed or you will increase your nitrates phosphates etc but you can buy this from lfs useually if you have a local one and its usually pretty cheap

Cardinals are great! Love them.
You can have as much or as little rock as you like the looks of.
The filter depends on what you have room for. On my 30g FOWLR, I have and ac70 and also an ac30 (this is actually the QT filter, just keep it on there to keep it seeded). Or you can do a sump if you have room. Or you can do a canister if you clean it out every week. If you do a filter rather than a sump, make sure it's rated for at least double the size of the tank.
You can use any light you like on a FOWLR. It can be a simple stock light or go for a nicer one if you want. The fish aren't gonna care. :)
RO or RO/DI water will be needed for SW. If you have an LFS that sells it, you can use that. Or buy a unit for home use.
Skimmers and IV sterilized are necessary, but can be helpful. You don't need them to start, though.
Good luck with the tank! :)

Sorry-i cant type!! I meant to type that uv sterilizers and skimmer aren't necessary, but can be helpful. Not needed to start, though.

Back
Top Bottom