trying to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_stl_mo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the site and fairly new to the hobby. I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but there is so much online it can be a chore to go through. I have a 75 gal with a cannister. It's a fluval fx5 I picked up brand new off CL for $100. I know its a monster. Original plan was a cichlid planted tank. Have read a lot about them tearing up the plants and uprooting them. So I may just go fake. I need media suggestions as to what should be in the filter to get started. Heating wise I'm planning on two fluval e300s. Again, open to suggestions. Tank is in my basement because that is where I spend a majority of my time. As far as lighting I am considering the led floodlights. Just finished reading all 39 pages of that thread. Lol. Just not quite sure on a wattage, or how many I need

:welcome: to AA!
In the filter if your planning on doing african you may need to put in crushed coral depending on the ph of the water your using. Bio balls, bio rings, sponges and floss could all be great options. The more stuff bacteria can grow on in there the better. As for the lights your talking about I'm not sure about and didn't see that thread. But I'm glad to see your doing research :)
Even the fake plant they will dig up just an FYI bit some people do get away with live and fake. The majority of the people don't imo. Anyways good luck and ask lots of questions in the cichlid forum see ya around

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom