trying to understand Alk and Calcium 'balance'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so since I know that alkalinity needs to be in balance with calcium levels, I'm trying to find a chart for this.

i stumbled across this:
http://www.coralforum.com/reference38.html

Does that mean that if my alkalinity is 2.5 meq/l that my calcium should be close to, but not exceeding 410ppm?

Cuz currently my alk is indeed 2.5meq/l but my calcium is a mere 275ppm. I'd like to get more acceptable calcium levels, and to know if I'm reading that chart properly.

excellent stuff!
I need a new calcium supplement. This kent stuff is weak. Added 2 teaspoons yesterday and today my calcium is only up to 300ppm.

and so I'm clear, 2.5meq/l is the low side of acceptable, but 300ppm is on the low side..I should shoot for 400ppm right?

all this is at a pH of 8.2

I just wanna make sure I should be focusing on calcium, not alkalinity AND calcium...

No, no....you should be focussed on Ca AND Alk. They move together and are related. You need to move them BOTH upward, in a balanced way.

Use additives to achieve balance. Use Kalk or some other "balanced" system to try to increase both together.

Brad said:
Use additives to achieve balance. Use Kalk or some other "balanced" system to try to increase both together.
Agreed whole heartedly. (y)
Just be sure they are balanced by raising only the Ca before you begin the regular dosing maintenance.

malkore said:
and so I'm clear, 2.5meq/l is the low side of acceptable, but 300ppm is on the low side..I should shoot for 400ppm right?
Your Ca is quite low but there is nothing wrong with the alk level. NSW is 1.5-3 mEq/l alkalinity and 380-420 ppm Ca. There is absolutely no reason or benefit to going beyond these levels. Keeping them in the higher range of those levels can be beneficial for a high demand tank. It helps keep the chemistry from bottoming out depending on the supplimentaion scheme.

Once you get the Ca in balance with the alk, maintaining them equaly as Brad suggested with a 2 part or kalk.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, and that's what I meant...right now I need to get Ca levels up, then use a 2 part system to keep them balanced.
Currently I'm using Kent Calcium, and Kent Superbuffer dKh, although really I'm only dosing the calcium. It seems rather weak...a teaspoon seems to add less than 20ppm of calcium.
Knowing I have a 1000g canister if the Superbuffer, what would you 'experienced' reef keepers suggest as a calcium supplement to go along with it?

I think I'm seeing the light at the end fo the tunnel!

malkore said:
It seems rather weak...a teaspoon seems to add less than 20ppm of calcium.
Might seem so but if your using the Turbo Ca, it's actually an excellent stand alone additive. You can easily double that amount added daily. 2 tspn for a 40 gal won't harm anything. Just be mindful to check alk along the way. It does have a tendancy to fall off if Mg is not in the right range. I wouldn't adjust the alk upwards, just try to maintainm it.

Cheers
Steve

malkore said:
nope, its not the turbo calcium, its the plain Liquid Calcium: http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater/lc.html
Your going to be at this awhile then. The liq CaCl is best for small changes and/or lower maintenance needs. I would not recommend it for large changes in chemistry. I would suggest you either get the Turbo Ca or do water changes with a balanced saltmix. With the Turbo Ca you'd have it fixed by the weekend.

As I said though watch the alk.

Cheers
Steve

aye. I'm gonna use this bottle up and get the turboCa. I'll watch the Alk levels as well.

I can say though, that lately my yellow polyps and green shrooms look better, even though I know they are not heavy calcium users. Probably coincidence.

Okay, I am lame. I don't really understand this stuff, and I tried to follow the articles this thread links to, but a lot of it is just over my head. I don't understand any of the equations (curse you, Cal Poly, for letting me take geology rather than chem as my token science) and so large portions of the page are just so much Greek to me. I mean, I can figure out what the levels are supposed to be and mess around till I get them there, but I'd feel better if I actually understood it.

Is there a book like "Reef Chemistry for Dummies"? 'Cause I sure could use it.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Not to hijack this thread, but rather right along the same line...My CA has been 280-300 now for 2-3 weeks...Salinity is 1.025, temp 80-82, PH 7.9 up to 8.4, Akalinity 2-2.5.. I cant seem to get my CA and alkalinity up for anything. Plus my rock has lost its color and prior to me switching all of the inhabitants and such from a 125 to a 100, I had coraline growth that was awesome...now its all fading and nothing is growing.. I have never had to add buffer as i had CC in the previous tank. Now I add Seachem CA, kent Super Buffer, and accidently added the CA to fast the other day and did in one of my cleaner shrimp...I have hit a wall for sure...I have 4 small fish (perc size) and 1 anenome, 3 shrimp and 150 lbs of LR.

How often do you do water changes and what saltmix are you using?

Cheers
Steve

DeepCutta720 said:
how important are these water parameters in fish only systems, no coral no inverts.
As long as the chemistry is not badly wacked it should not be that much a concern. At least trying to monitor/maintain some sort fo proper chemistry can definately help keep a tank much healthier. Alkalinity sustains pH and aids in preventing wild swings. If Ca is badly out of balance against alk, both can beome uncontrollable.

If you do at least twice monthly water changes, it shouldn't be a cause for concern in an FO system.

Cheers
Steve

I went ahead and ordered an 800g Turbo Calcium by Kent...seemed like it should play well with their superbuffer dKh if I needed to use them as a 2-part system. Besides I needed a 25watt heater for a betta tank, so I padded my Big Al's order a smidge.

Back
Top Bottom