TT's 40b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diatoms 1 - Me 0...
So it begins! I've had minimal issues up until now but diatoms hit me with a jab to the dome..
Wanting to do a wc but holding back seeing as how Sunday is reset/50% wc day..
Actually nuked the rock last nite just to be proactive..also I realize that they will go away in time,so clean where I can & keep up on the water quality..

sit in silence...

Stay ahead of them man. They over took my tank.. the dhg got like suffocated.. i don't really know any good tricks aside from manual removal. Don't think spot treating does much?? Tank looks freaking amazing by the way. That rotala mac is meant for that lighting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was actually reading on diatom management a few days ago to prepare myself for the inevitable. I seen several people on TPT recommend Pond Care Algae Fix to some dosage (can't remember) until the diatoms turned white then vacuuming them away. Not recommended for tanks with snails or shrimp though. Supposed to be pretty efficient from what I gathered.

Jesse

Stay ahead of them man. They over took my tank.. the dhg got like suffocated.. i don't really know any good tricks aside from manual removal. Don't think spot treating does much?? Tank looks freaking amazing by the way. That rotala mac is meant for that lighting!

Thx Brookster...
The macranda loves that lighting indeed...full clean up on the canister&tubing this morning as well...also will add new poly fiber to the canister to help with polishing..

sit in silence...

I was actually reading on diatom management a few days ago to prepare myself for the inevitable. I seen several people on TPT recommend Pond Care Algae Fix to some dosage (can't remember) until the diatoms turned white then vacuuming them away. Not recommended for tanks with snails or shrimp though. Supposed to be pretty efficient from what I gathered.

Jesse

Thx,I'll look into that product.

sit in silence...

Careful with the algaecides, it can work "too well". Remember algae is a plant after all..

You're going to love the poly pad if you aren't familiar!
They truly boarder chemical treatment they are so good!
You'll have to check on it more often then usual filter maint IMO.

As the wise hippy bookstore once told me.... just throw a baby bn plecos in there and that diatonic will be gone by morning.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As the wise hippy bookstore once told me.... just throw a baby bn plecos in there and that diatonic will be gone by morning.

You're actually right.. they go to town on the brown stuff. My little rio paraguay pleco destroyed all the diatoms in the 20 long over night..

I was having a massive diatom algae issue in a 40b upstairs. I mean covered. I released abt 60 baby bn plecos into it at 6pm last night. By 10:30 it was irradicated.... gone. Quite amazing to see. 2 mins after release their were trails through it everywhere.

I was having a massive diatom algae issue in a 40b upstairs. I mean covered. I released abt 60 baby bn plecos into it at 6pm last night. By 10:30 it was irradicated.... gone. Quite amazing to see. 2 mins after release their were trails through it everywhere.

Now..... catching all those plecos hahah..

Yeah.... abt that! Release was easy, As they were all in a breeder box. Getting em out to deliver for sale in 2 wks is another challenge. I figure ill just throw some algae wafers in a breeder net and catch em in dinner groups.

Ey tiger, check him out, not mine but identical, they do everything a bn does (including poop a ton) but look way cooler.

Attachments

• 1444486020797.jpg
    1444486020797.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 61
Ey tiger, check him out, not mine but identical, they do everything a bn does (including poop a ton) but look way cooler.

What is it's name&where do I find em?

sit in silence...

Yeah.... abt that! Release was easy, As they were all in a breeder box. Getting em out to deliver for sale in 2 wks is another challenge. I figure ill just throw some algae wafers in a breeder net and catch em in dinner groups.

Are those the reg. run of the mill bn pleco?

sit in silence...

Rio paraguay ancistrus. Try bluegrass aquatics or liveaquaria?

Checked w/the lfs this morning,they say they've got the brown"ish" bn plecos..$11.99 per...
Canister&tubing was filthy,replaced the poly fiber which was stained a dark brown...oh yeah,made a watery mess when I spaced shutting a valve on the quick disconnect valve(what I get for being in a hurry)...

sit in silence...

Ive got plenty. Just cover shipping. Done n done

Ive got albino n brown/Ylw. More brown with yellow accents

But if you can snag one of what brooks has i would. Dem dudes look suhweeet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom