Turtle care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Before this forum, I had no idea anyone kept turtles with fish!! Our family adores turtles, but don't have room for another huge tank- but what about a smaller turtle with 8" comet goldfish? In the summer he could either have the 90 gal to himself, or go out in the pond with the fish. So would that be possible? What are some smaller turtles that are legal to keep in Alberta (RES? How big do they get?) and do they need an area of land to climb up on? Also, if you keep them in an outdoor pond, how do you keep them in, and not wandering about the garden and ultimately out of the backyard? I'm very interested, so please share your knowledge!!

It all depends on the turtle and the type of fish. I keep a stinkpot with african Cichlids. Africans are pretty aggressive and I figured they could hold their own witch they do. I've heard of some people saying they've kept them with other fish with no problems but can't speak from experience. There are some people that move them from indoor to outdoors its actually good for them to go outside and play and dry out in the sun. And yes in an aquarium you'll need special lights and a way for them to get out.

In a pond I've heard of some people putting up a fence around it so they can't get out.

Thanks for the reply! I would love to keep one with my south Americans, but I only have a 60 gal hexagon right now, which isn't ideal for a turtle, since there's no way to build a land structure. What kind if special lighting would I need?

Wonderful site, thanks so much! Just looked into musk turtles, and they seem perfect!! Plus, the local rescue has a razorback musk for adoption- perfect opportunity I think :) id love to give a rescue turtle a second chance. One for more research!

Horsegirlmaddy said:
Wonderful site, thanks so much! Just looked into musk turtles, and they seem perfect!! Plus, the local rescue has a razorback musk for adoption- perfect opportunity I think :) id love to give a rescue turtle a second chance. One for more research!

Just be careful if it starts chasing the fish its going to eat one as soon as it can catch it. I know stinkpot musk turtles a lot of people have had luck keeping them with fish but not sure about others. Good luck.

From what I've read, razorbacks are just as slow and lazy as stinkpots lol. And my cichlids are very fast, and getting large pretty quick. I figure if I keep the turtle well fed, it shouldn't have any interest in working hard for food when it's usually delivered right to his mouth haha. Only time and experience will tell though!

Horsegirlmaddy said:
From what I've read, razorbacks are just as slow and lazy as stinkpots lol. And my cichlids are very fast, and getting large pretty quick. I figure if I keep the turtle well fed, it shouldn't have any interest in working hard for food when it's usually delivered right to his mouth haha. Only time and experience will tell though!

Yea my stinkpot is scared of my Cichlids lol some of them push and roll him to get to food if I don't hand feed him lol

Lol that's great. Also, I read on the turtle website you mentioned that razorbacks prefer deep water more than other turtles, which is perfect for my plans, as a hexagon is obviously deeper than long/wide. However, it still has plenty of swimming room from side to side as well. What are your stinkpots favorite foods?

It loves freeze dried shrimp, algae waffers, turtle sticks, pieces of fish about anything lol. The cichlid food home made african cichlid food. Most of all he likes me to hand feed the shrimp

Also with the lights I just went to home depot and got the cheap clip on reflector lights and bought 10.0 uvb bulbs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom