Two 10 gal tanks. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbykat9698

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I had these tanks years ago, basically I got divorced and when the fish died, my ex husband drained the tanks and they have been sitting for 5 years (very nasty all the substrate and decor is still there lol) So I want to clean them up, buy some new filters, and start over. But what to do? I have a puffer tank already, so maybe a planted betta tank? What can go with a betta? Can a frog go with a betta? (Ive had dwarf frogs before but they are difficult because they cant see their food!) Also I don't have good lighting for these tanks, so plants must be low light for the time being.

Also how would one go about cleaning these tanks if one wants to try to keep some of the decorations and substrate?

In my 10 I have anacharis and a crypt. Some bettas do well with tank mates and others do not. Frogs are a possibility. Shrimp are also possible but they may become a betta snack also. Be sure to stay away from anything with bright or long fins, as the betta is inclined to attack it, or anything with a reputation for fin nipping, as your betta will become the victim of this.

You could do a betta, sure; it would love a 10 gal. You could try ADFS with it but it'll depend on the betta and (as you know) ADFs need to be target fed and come up for air once in a while. Or you could just do a trio of ADFs in one tank, a betta in the other. Or another option would be a nano tank with two schools of 6-8 nano fish like celestial pearl danio, ember tetra or chili rasbora. Or you could look into shell-dwelling cichlids too, that might be an interesting option.

My betta is in a community tank and gets along fine. I (without knowing) added him to the tank with my dwarf gourami and later found out its not recommended, but they haven't fought at all and they've been together for a month now. I'd say

1 male crowntail betta
5 neon tetras
2 nerite snails
2 African dwarf frogs
(I have my betta with neons and the get along just fine)

In the other

I dwarf gourami
3 guppies
2 red platys
2 nerite snails
2 African dwarf frogs

I think this would make a bright and colorful stock for both tanks :)

I think I decided on a shell dwelling cichlid tank and a betta and adf tank (neons would be cool for that too, thanks for the suggestion!). Now, how do i clean these nasty tanks?

I think I decided on a shell dwelling cichlid tank and a betta and adf tank (neons would be cool for that too, thanks for the suggestion!). Now, how do i clean these nasty tanks?

Shell dwelling cichlids need a tank bigger than 10 gals I believe. At least 20 gal IMO. 30 would be ideal.

No soap!!! Just scrub it in hot tap until it all comes out. :)

I think shell dwelling cichlids would get by in a 10 gal, but they really wouldn't thrive. Id suggest against them. :)

A lot of things I've read said 5-10 gal is good for them but make sure you have a lot of shells. The problem with a small tank though is the trial and error of finding a bonded pair. Some people said put 6 in and see which ones pair off and give the rest back to the store. If that was the case I'd only keep 2 fish with a big covering of shells. I miss my big tank of cichlids so much. Too bad yellow labs cant go in a 10 gal because I loved them.

Would a betta be ok with zebra danios or would they be way too active and stress him out?

No, no, NO to danios. They are fin nippers and will nip at your betta and harass him to no end. A school "big enough" to keep the nipping to themselves needs at least a 20 gallon, but IMO, danios and bettas together should be avoided completely.

ALSO the decorations from my old tanks are nasty and I may not use them all anyway (I like to start over) but should I boil them?

I've heard of using a little vinegar to help clean things up, but I just run everything through my dishwasher with no soap.

Have you tested the tanks for leaks yet? After 5 years the silicone may be dried out. You can find a 10g tank for around $10-$15 new.
You can boil the ornaments or set them in bucket with vinegar in it, just make sure you rinse them well afterwards.

Have you tested the tanks for leaks yet? After 5 years the silicone may be dried out. You can find a 10g tank for around $10-$15 new.
You can boil the ornaments or set them in bucket with vinegar in it, just make sure you rinse them well afterwards.

I havent yet. I def will before ever putting living things in obviously. I need a snail breeding tank but don't really want to waste a 10 gallon on it. And I used to breed zebra danios in both the 10 gallons. Hardy fish and I love them but like I said I figured they would stress a betta out and I wont chance that. I miss the ADFs as well but man so annoying trying to make them eat. They were docile and my dwarf puffers never even looked at them. I had one before with a betta but it was before I knew about them being blind and hate to say I blamed the betta but it was probably my fault.

Back
Top Bottom