Two Fish Need Help Identifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haglagwr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got these fish at a LFS. The first two pictures of the yellowish one was sold to me as a borleyi, but in doing some research I haven't found anything that looks like it. The last one that is more blue with vertical stripes can change colors. When I bought it, it was very dark and I didn't know it had stripes because of its color. Nobody at the LFS could identify it so I took a risk but it fits in great. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Borleyi 1.jpg
    Borleyi 1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 112
  • borleyi 2.jpg
    borleyi 2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 118
The first two are peacock cichlids.. From lake
Malawi in east africa. The other one looks like a blue zebra. Not too positive on that last one tho.
Those peacocks are
Quite nice; good find!

The last one is most likely a female of some dimorphic zebra species (member of the mayandia or metriaclima genus); the female counter-parts to male zebra species in my avatar resemble your fish to a certain extent.

It's a probable female due to the rounded fin tips of the dorsal and anal fins and the proportionally short pectoral fins.

The last one is most likely a female of some dimorphic zebra species (member of the mayandia or metriaclima genus); the female counter-parts to male zebra species in my avatar resemble your fish to a certain extent.

It's a probable female due to the rounded fin tips of the dorsal and anal fins and the proportionally short pectoral fins.

Ok it would make sense that it is a female due to its temperament. Any idea about the sex of the first one? Thanks for the help!

I would say the first peacock could be a female but if it less dominant than the other males can hide their colors too. Also males usually have spots on their last lower fin. Best of luck

Rocco828 said:
I would say the first peacock could be a female but if it less dominant than the other males can hide their colors too. Also males usually have spots on their last lower fin. Best of luck

The yellow spots on the anal fin are more
Common in males in zebras mostly.. Not sure
Again with peacocks.. Heard from someone those dots actually are supposed to trick females into thinking they are the eggs; so basically when they lay the eggs and go to put them in their mouth the male goes close to the eggs ad the female thinks the dots are more eggs and then sperm is released to fertilize the eggs in her
Mouth....

After hearing that the first is a peacock i figured out that it is Aulonocara stuartgranti (Wikihi). Didn't intend to mix peacocks with my mbuna's but he gets along fine.

The second one however I'm still unsure about. Someone suggested it is a metriaclima, but I haven't found anything that compares. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Thanks for the input so far.

The second one has the same top fin as my auloncara maylandi
It may be a hybrid auloncara

The second one has the same top fin as my auloncara maylandi
It may be a hybrid auloncara

Gotcha, yeah I didn't clarify what I meant. The first two pics are of the same fish, we figured out that it is a blue neon peacock. The third picture is what I am still unsure about, it looks like some sort of zebra mix.

Back
Top Bottom