Two Legged Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anasiana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wasn't quite sure where to put this post, so feel free to reprimand me and demand that I move it if I'm wrong :hide:

I was recently at my LFS when I saw a red clawed crab alone in a tank. I had a female already, so on impulse, I bought the male. I took pity on him because he was missing 4 legs and one of his pincers, as well as an eye. I put him in with my female, and watched them for about two hours. Both were rather inactive, as it was in the middle of the day. I figured they would be civil from then on, though.

The next morning, I woke up to find him with only one leg and his pincer remaining. The other legs were laying on the sand around him. I don't think it was the female, as I have never really seen her go after him, but I suppose its still a possibility.

I isolated the poor fella, and he's been on his own for a couple days now. He's still fairly active, and eats well, better than the female actually. He sort of drags himself around by his claw and pushes with his little leg. He comes in and out of the water as he pleases, and seems to be doing well.

Now, finally, onto my questions.... Is he actually going to be okay, or is he just putting up a tough front? Did the lady crab pull off his legs, or did he lose them because of stress or poor conditions or something? Is there anything I can do to make his life easier, or encourage him to molt?

Sorry for the rambley, disjointed entry. I'd just really like for him to pull through this. I've had him for about a week now, and I've grown rather attached already. The little guy's got some spunk :lol:

Thanks in advance, guys. I'm new here, but you all seem really helpful :thanks:

Welcome to AA!! If no other tank mates were in the tank,other than the female, then I'd venture to say that she did it. It sounds like your planning to keep the male, so if it were me, I'd keep him separate and see what happens. And yes you posted in the right place.

Hello,
I had a similar problem but with rainbow crabs. I bought 2 both healthy all legs and pincers, had them a week and decided to change the layout of the tank and covered in all the holes they dug not realising they was going to shed 2 days later and one shed perfect the other only had 2 legs on each side and the flap at the bottem was open but she had lost her legs after the shed cause they was still fleshy, so not sure weather it was me stressing her out or the other crab attacking her i decided to put a divider in the tank. Then a couple of weeks later another leg fell off. She shed again few weeks later and 2 legs grew back but one fell off again after she shed and the flap underneath never recovered and couple of days later i come down in the morning and she had died so it couldn't be the other crab but i wont take the chance by putting another in there so she lives with some cherry shrimp. I would separate him wait for him to get better then to put him back but watch to see wot happens with them. Got some pics if u want to see setup or crab.
Hope this help

Back
Top Bottom