Two new Snakeskin gourami please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoganY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Three days ago I got two snakeskin gouramis as the first fish in this aquarium. Based on fin length and shape one is female and one is male. I wanted snakeskin gouramis because I read that they are one of the more peacful gouramis. The male is doing great however the female looks a bit rough and I am not sure if it's desease or stress I think it is stress but I am not sure. The female gourami has like a cloudy white shimmer on her scales and her eyes are a little cloudy. I checked out some desease a online and I can't tell if it's desease or stress. Also she is very shy and only comes out of hiding once in a while for a few minutes unlike the male who is already quite bold. They have been in the tank for three days now and I have not been able to get the female too eat. When the female comes out the male chases her until she goes back into hiding. I am not sure if it's because she is sick and he chases her away to not attract predators as I know some animals do that. Or if he is being territorial or wanting too mate. I would appreciate some advice is the female sick or stressed and will keeping both fish be a problem if the male is being aggressive. I don't think I can attach photos but when I am on my computer I will try to attach some photos of the fish.

Most species of fish that are not a defined pair you want about a 1m/2-3F ratio. This lets the male choose which one he likes.

Cloudy eye is often a symptom of water quality as well.

Can you test your water?

Caleb

I am not sure if its cloudy eye I have added a picture so you can see. Also I do not want to get another female or two so in this case do you think it would be better to return one fish or keep both and see how is goes? also I have an update today the female came out to eat. She was able to eat a little before the male chased her away again. I will test the water and give the results later as I don't have much time now. Thank you for your fast response.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F9ACA8176AD9DA5D!119&authkey=!AMAw4GfeyzgP-Pw&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Also I would like to add that the cloudy white is not very distinct in her eyes and I can see it on her scales at the right lighting and angle. It does not look like cotton or salt grains the picture may be a little unclear it looks more like a film over her whole body. I got her to eat some more although the male harassed her the whole time. Do you think if I added another female or two the males aggression would lessen.

Okay I just got my test results from api 5 in 1 test strips. I listed the numbers as a range since I find it hard to tell exact numbers based on color.

GH=20

KH=80-120

pH=6.8-7.2

NO2=0.3

No3=20 (or less)

I think the pH is good how about the NO2/NO3 and hardness. Three days ago I put in about a pound of crushed coral in a mesh bag because my hardness and pH were very low around 5.5 pH and hardness I don't remember but it was low. That's probably partially because I have about 20 pounds of drift wood in the tank so the crushed coral seems to be working.

Back
Top Bottom