Two pH tests, dramatically different results.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minawri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just doing my weekly checking of the water parameters for my 55g cichlid tank. I was using the API strip test. Everything was in check except for the PH, which is showing up at less than 6.0. So I broke out my API test tube pH kit... and the test is reading at 7.6!

What could make my tests read out so differently? I haven't added anything to my tank except a bit of aquarium salt to treat a scrape my severum got trying to squeeze into a slate cave he is much too large for.

I tested twice and the strips keep telling me less than 6.0 and the test tube keeps reading at 7.6. Both test kits are fairly new.

Gonna do a big water change, but still curious as to what could cause this and how I could get an accurate reading.

Strip tests are notoriously inaccurate. What you need to do is go buy the API Freshwater Liquid Test Kit. It runs for around $30-32 at the chain pet stores around my area.

+1 James, the best accuracy is liquid testing. If the price-tag is a bit much, you should at least have the ph kit and nitrite kit.

Back
Top Bottom