Two quick questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ammonia_muncher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I have a few questions about how I set up my aquarium I don't know if I'm posting in the right place.
Read my intro- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326724
Questions-
1- Are 150 and 200 GPH penguins enough for 60 gallons? (I want 2 in case one fails ) I asked the fish guy at the pet store if the GPH adds up across two filters and he wasnt sure (he did say two filters could cause for circulation which could harm small fish)
2- Rinsing 50 lbs of gravel was no fun. I used chlorinated tap water to rinse and also to fill the tank out of the lack of buckets to pre-dechlorinate. I was wondering if when I add the dechlorinator will it reach between the bits of gravel? Will it affect the bacterial colony I'm trying to build up? Do I have to wait 48 hrs to start the cycle, or start over?
That is all for now,
Thank You,
Ammonia Muncher

Sent from my LGMS500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How are you cycling your tank? I'd suggest 2 ac 70 ' s for that size tank. Or a cannister.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1- Are 150 and 200 GPH penguins enough for 60 gallons? (I want 2 in case one fails ) I asked the fish guy at the pet store if the GPH adds up across two filters and he wasnt sure (he did say two filters could cause for circulation which could harm small fish)
Yes, GPH is additive. Depending on what you keep, it could be enough. Cichlids would need around 600 GPH for your tank, but a normal stocking level of standard tropical fish would work. Penguin filters are significantly more powerful than people try to suggest, though, I would suggest a sponge filter for bacterial filtration. They can carry a massive amount of beneficial bacteria. I recommend trying AqAdvisor to test your stock. Easy enough to find on google.

To answer the circulation thing, I have two Penguin 400s on my 55g and my 1" rams and even smaller cories (when they swim up) don't have any trouble with them.

2- Rinsing 50 lbs of gravel was no fun. I used chlorinated tap water to rinse and also to fill the tank out of the lack of buckets to pre-dechlorinate. I was wondering if when I add the dechlorinator will it reach between the bits of gravel? Will it affect the bacterial colony I'm trying to build up? Do I have to wait 48 hrs to start the cycle, or start over?

If I were you, I'd take it safe, and pull the gravel out, wash it with dechlorinated water, and then put it back in after dechlorinating your tank water. If you don't want to do all that, while putting in the dechlor, I'd stir up the gravel nice and good.

Just my $0.02.

@Brookster123
I'm am cycling with janitorial ammonia (fishless).
2 70 gph power filters?
I considered canister... but I bought the 2 power filters instead, a 150 and a 200 (I've heard there's no such thing as overfiltering).

Thanks so much for your answers, I really appreciate it @Karatepig
Idk about the gravel. I read somewhere that chlorine naturally decays in 48 hrs in still water and faster in airated water

By "ac 70s" they meant two AquaClear 70s. I don't think that's necessary, not since you already have the penguins. Not to mention the penguin filters have biowheels which increase filtration performance significantly. I leave my recommendation of the filters you currently have and maybe a sponge filter.

The penguin filters are based around something which is called a wet/dry filtration system, which is generally used in high end saltwater systems.

Edit: No problem, I love helping out. You'll find better information about the chlorine and gravel elsewhere than from me.

Your Tank

Hello amm...

I keep a 60 G tank and use one filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 240. That's it. No back up filter. Filters rarely go down if you get a good one. I like Hagen filters. I have some I bought 10 years ago and have yet to replace one.

The key to keeping a healthy tank isn't the filter, it's removing and replacing the tank water weekly. The filter simply agitates the surface and mixes oxygen into the water. The water change is the true filter. It removes the dissolved waste and dilutes what's left to a safe level.

Get a good poly fiber media like the product from Acurel. The ammonia padding is best. It will keep the water clear of the particles that cause cloudy tank water.

You can fill the tank and then treat the water. Seachem's "Safe" is likely the best. Just treat per the directions. The treatment will reach everywhere there's water and make it safe for the fish. Add some floating plants and run the tank for a few days, so the water temperature settles to roughly 75 degrees.

If you cycle with fish, get hardy species. Platys are a good livebearer and Danios are best if you like egglayers. Get 3 to 4 fish for every 10 gallons of water. Add the fish and have your liquid water testing kit ready to test every day for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive for either, then change out 25 percent of the water and replace it with treated tap water. Remember to feed a little every couple of days. At the end of a month, you'll get several tests with no traces of the above toxins. The tank is cycled. Then change out half the water weekly for the life if the tank.

Have fun,

B

Thank you for the helpful info, but I'll stick to fishless @BBradbury

Thank you for the helpful info, but I'll stick to fishless @BBradbury

I shoot for about 10x the volume of tank water per hour in flow. It really helps keep the substrate free of a debris buildup and prevents dead spots.

As for the chlorine and gravel, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thank You, especially for the peace of mind @Mebbid

It's personal choice but on a 60g or larger I would have two filters. Not because I worry that a single filter will fail but rather that I like to maintain/clean them alternately so avoiding a minicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you purchase a Marineland filter it tells you the gph and what gallon tank to use it. I totally agree with Mebbid.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have two Marineland filters in my 55 with no trouble. The outflow is noticeable but not so bad that it's blowing fish all over the place. Some like to play in it and some stay in calmer waters but overall it hasn't been so powerful as to be an issue. They do a good job and have handled overstocking as long as you're doing the necessary maintenance.
As for the gravel, I've always rinsed all my new substrate in the bathtub with water straight from the tap with no issues. Any residual chlorine should be negligible, especially since most of the time you're adding dechlorinated water after you add the substrate. You have no fish yet, so no worries. You should be fine. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom