Tyler's First Saltwater Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How important is carbon to a saltwater tank? Is it a nessicary thing to have? It just clarifies the water right?

Depends on who you talk to....I personally don't run it at all on mine..it just absorbs chems and polishes water

I dont run carbon in my 125g but i do with the smaller tanks swince they have no sumps. It polishes up the water and can remove meds that you add to your tank.

I do plan on in the future getting a carbon reactor for the 125g to put in the sump just havent ad the money for it yet.

it is generally a personal choice if you run it or not. I happen to like carbon. :)

Blakskall said:
I shoodve gotten a refractometer in the beginning.. The amount that my hydrometer was off is incredible.. in a bad way lol my swing arm read 1.024 which is my target gravity, the refractometer read 1.030.. One of the best purchases ive made :)

Refractometers have to be be calibrated and so does the hydrometer .The salt mix container will usually tell you how to check the accuracy of your hydrometer and then mark it accordingly.

Should i get test kits for phosphates and calcium if i have a FOWLR tank?

They aren't a necessity for a fowlr but if you have the extra $$$ to they are nice. It can help rule out some things if say you have a disease break out in your tank..

thanks guy, another question though, what are your thoughts on UV sterilizers and ozonizers? With a 30 gallon tank would it be considered overkill?

Blakskall said:
thanks guy, another question though, what are your thoughts on UV sterilizers and ozonizers? With a 30 gallon tank would it be considered overkill?

On a 30 gallon I wouldn't worry about those.

ok so, i just came back from vacation and had someone take care of my tank for me, i noticed there where little algae fibers forming on my tank wall before i left, i would scrub them daily to get rid of them, but now when i come home, my tank is covered with algae.. My cycling the tank with live rock is this normal? Will it die off?

ok i checked water parameters, and my tank looks cycled, ammonia=0 nitrite=0 but my nitrates are around 40 ppm, i think thts why my tank is covered in green hair algae, 2mrw im out to buy a phosphate test kit and a nitrate sponge seeing if that will do the trick, im also doing PWC's frequently and have reduced my light timer hours

I wouldn't bother with a nitrate sponge it's just something that can go wrong and if it does they'll be big problems, stick to pwc's and use them to bring your nitrates down.

+1 I agree there are no short cuts in this game When that sponge decides to dump those nitrates it will be a huge problem Stick with the PWC's

+1 I agree there are no short cuts in this game When that sponge decides to dump those nitrates it will be a huge problem Stick with the PWC's

ok thanks, but checking for phosphates and reducing light, should I still do that?

Yeah why not, each tank is different and you'll find out what works best for you eventually, it's just finding that balance. What hours do you have your lights on at the minute?

Back
Top Bottom