Type of Sand for substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't weigh it lol. I only used like half bag on top of my other white and. Then just mixed it up with my hands so there wasn't two colors of sand.

When I mentioned putting your hands in the sand, I was referring to right after you fill the tank. just an FYI

Donkey Gun said:
When I mentioned putting your hands in the sand, I was referring to right after you fill the tank. just an FYI

I never had any cloudiness. I had to put some plants in after I got the water in still. But I didn't do the plastic thing. Just used a magazine lid so the water would flow into the sand rather then splash into it.

Donkey Gun said:

How big is your upside down cat? Also how long have you had him for?

Hobgob said:
How big is your upside down cat? Also how long have you had him for?

He is about 2 years old, and about 2-3 inches. Hardly ever see him though, mostly hangs out in the cave.

Donkey Gun said:
He is about 2 years old, and about 2-3 inches. Hardly ever see him though, mostly hangs out in the cave.

Ya mines is about the same size I'd say. He's in a 110g and only comes out when we feed him

GEEEEZ I might be more confused now!!! Im hearing SPECTRA, PFS and PLAY SAND!!! I like that you dont have to preclean spectra. Is that true though:? HMMMM I really dont know which direction to go now

gregcuoz said:
GEEEEZ I might be more confused now!!! Im hearing SPECTRA, PFS and PLAY SAND!!! I like that you dont have to preclean spectra. Is that true though:? HMMMM I really dont know which direction to go now

I guess it all depends on now is how much time and money you have!

I guess it all depends on now is how much time and money you have!

Id say money really isnt an object, Time is more of an issue then money. I spent an entire weekend cleaning my used tank. Its crystal clear now. I just want the best equip with the least time.

gregcuoz said:
Id say money really isnt an object, Time is more of an issue then money. I spent an entire weekend cleaning my used tank. Its crystal clear now. I just want the best equip with the least time.

Well I spent over 4 hrs rinsing, but mine was black. So u may want the no rinse sand!

gregcuoz said:

What did you do to your tank? I have never spent that much time cleaning a tank...but if you want speed go with the spectra. If not id say pool filter sand(Pfs)

Hobgob said:
What did you do to your tank? I have never spent that much time cleaning a tank...

It wasn't for the tank, I bought 2 bags of black diamond blasting sand. It is really dusty.

Last week I put 150 pounds of pool filter sand in my tank. It took me about 30 minutes to rinse. Then today I put 100 pounds of black diamond blasting sand in only washed for about 30 minutes as well. It's not very time consuming. I put about about a gallon bucket full of sand under a shower facet. Then after a minute I put another gallon bucket under and took the one to my tank, its efficient. My black sand was a little cloudy, but that went away after about two hours. Overall I'm trying to say, it's not as bad as you may think. :)

What did you do to your tank? I have never spent that much time cleaning a tank...but if you want speed go with the spectra. If not id say pool filter sand(Pfs)

I bought a used tank that housed large Oscars. There was alot of hard water stains and bad fish odor. I soaked and scrubbed it with White vinager and baking soda, and scrubbed with both. Lots of soaking and rinsing. Wanna do it right(y)

Back
Top Bottom