ugh my teacher made us use live fish in lab today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it sounds bad, but there are actually strict regulations in place for animal "research." Generally before any research experiment is done on an animal, a professor (in undergrad or grad school) has to fill out an IACUC form, which will outline the ethical implications of the research. HOPEFULLY the teacher made it very clear to treat the animals with respect, and used large enough cylinders to prevent permanent harm to the fish, although I doubt they would have been required to fill out a form for your demonstration :/

MrPillow said:
They didn't even explain the experiment? :( So much for Biology lol

They did lol I just have no idea what "culture solution"for consists of lol..
We had 1 beaker with just water, 1 with water and a piece of elodea (anacharis), and then the 3rd beaker with the water and fish. Wait 15 minutes, remove the fish and plant, add 4 drops of one chemical (phenol-something...I forget) to each beaker and as many drops of a different chemical (forgot this ones name too lol) to the control beaker until the solution turns pink, measure how many mL of chemical it took and compare that against how many mL of chemical it took for the two others to reach the same shade of pink....and then a little bit of fancy math lol

bosoxlobsterman said:
I know it sounds bad, but there are actually strict regulations in place for animal "research." Generally before any research experiment is done on an animal, a professor (in undergrad or grad school) has to fill out an IACUC form, which will outline the ethical implications of the research. HOPEFULLY the teacher made it very clear to treat the animals with respect, and used large enough cylinders to prevent permanent harm to the fish, although I doubt they would have been required to fill out a form for your demonstration :/

Thats good that those rules are in place, I am not sure if they made her fill one out or not but I hope so. She did briefly tell everyone to be careful with the fish and she had a few beakers that were an appropriate size, unfortunately it didn't matter because one group decided to use all of them instead of just one for the fish and normal ones for the other things. So although I made my group wait til we could take one of theirs, many of the others didn't and dropped their fishy in water that just barely covered it :(

We used a goldfish weeks ago in biology too! I was gonna ask the teacher was gonna do with it after today. Poor guy was grasping for air in a graduated cylinder that was probably used for chemicals

Its funny though, when the teacher mentions goldfish, the whole class turns around and looks at me lol

George9 said:
We used a goldfish weeks ago in biology too! I was gonna ask the teacher was gonna do with it after today. Poor guy was grasping for air in a graduated cylinder that was probably used for chemicals

Its funny though, when the teacher mentions goldfish, the whole class turns around and looks at me lol

Haha why? Did they know that you like fish or something?

George9 said:
I didn't think so, but I guess they do. Lol

Lol reminds me, there is an older woman in my class and she asked me "are you our fish lady?" Haha um sure if you promise not to call me that...

[I setup a tank for my class so other students could gain respect for fish.]

+1 sounds just right.

btw now that I think back. I cant really remembed but in high school, either, enviornmental class or just biology we did something like what you did. exp it was with plants, the one you mentioned, with breakers and some sort of solution..... ehh I dont remember. maybe I was dreaming. lol

Just wait till college, you get to do much more outlandish things to animals.

My first thought was that this was pretty mild. I've done things to larger animals in anatomy/physiology classes that have no business being retold here.

That being said, what's the future like for a feeder comet/guppy? Sacrificed for scientific education, eaten by large predators, left to die a miserable death in a cramped, unheated, unfiltered vase... Seems like an arbitrary place to draw the line in the grand scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom