UGH .... Rummynoses! A real PITA!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcolon

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title says ... Rummynoses are a real PITA to keep alive! I'm sure with some though you'll figure out what Acronym that stands for.

Purchased 3 on Wednesday hoping to add them them to my 75gal where I currently have 3. For a month my son's 10gal was their QT home. I did a 3-hour acclimation after a PWC before I started the acclimation. I get home to find one of the remaining two (one bit the bullet last night) swimming really erratically .. uh oh.:facepalm:

Ok so where's the other one? No sign of it anywhere. After a minute I find its remains ... yep remains ... right in front of me in the sand. Guess the ghost shrimp had a field day with it's carcass... two down. The one that was impersonating stunt airplanes at airshows? Went about 30 minutes later:(.

So my record with Rummies ... 3(alive) out of 10ish. The current three (out of an original 7) in my DT are doing great ... they don't school as tightly as they did the first week after rehoming from the 10gal. Today they have more red coloration on their noses and better black / white contrast on their tails. Debating if I want to try and get some more in a few weeks. I love their coloration and would love to increase my current school to at least 5. I had 4 in my DT ... but one went in an hour.

Any thoughts / input or similar horror stories?

That's really odd, I have had 6 rummy's in my 30 gallon for close to 6 months right now and I haven't had any issues. What are your water parameters? What fish are in your tank?

Yeah, I have had rummies in my 40g community for like 8 months and never had any issues with them. But, I know other people have had issues keeping them alive. Bruinsbro had a nasty time with them. Flossie had some issues too.

I think it just happens sometimes. I have 10 rummies from 11 in the last 6 months never had a problem with them. Harlequin rasboras on the other hand..... I've bought 16 in the last 6 weeks and am down to 7!

Ya I had a heck of a time with my cardinal tetras, until I found of my black widow tetras made a meal out of them, but I don't know about my cherry barbs. Started with ten 3 months ago now down to 3.

IDK ... maybe I'm just cursed with Rummies:lol: at least the Cardinals tetras in the tank, also known to be somewhat sensitive fish, are doing well. For those that have had good luck with them I say awesome ... reading what you posted gives me hope. From the reading I've done, Rummies are prone to dying off within the first week, but do well and are very hardy once they acclimate to a tank.

I do take some comfort in seeing the 3 Rummies in my DT doing well, very active and colorful.

Yep, same as neons and cards. My belief is they are coming from a poor quality farm. Never had success with Petsmart livestock. Bought a bunch from a better store, while they were much much smaller and more fragile, all survived.

I was gonna get then but now Im a little hesitant with all these horror stories. :eek:

Yep, I agree that they seem to be one of those fish where getting good stock is VERY important. Tank-bred fish seem to often do better than the wild caught ones IMO.

Ya right now I'm trying to find one of my jumbo neon tetras who has suddenly disappeared on me. I get most of my fish from a large chain, thankfully I get along with the manager so any issues get fixed promptly. And ya I have found no remains of my neon so either it's hiding really good or my lobster cleaned up nicely

Back
Top Bottom