Ugh what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This just started after getting my new full spectrum led hood. This is a 55 gallon tank been running for 8 years.
Water tests are great. Its the wisps on the log 1481315095288.jpg

This isn't hydra. This is strung around in the aquarium it's wispy brown

1481317134919.jpg I don't know if this is any better this stuff is not photogenic

Algae of some sort unsure of what kind though, so i can not give any advice on what will eat it. That being said you might just want to remove the wood piece and scrub it down under freshwater.

I have 3 times in 2 weeks. I hope I can figure out what this is so I can handle it.

Not sure on ID. If they're only on the driftwood then pull it and boil it.

Since you said you just added a new light, that's probably why you're now seeing this. Why did you change the light in the first place? Just for more light/brighter display light? If so I would see about fiddling with how long the light is on for and see if that helps.

Since you said you just added a new light, that's probably why you're now seeing this. Why did you change the light in the first place? Just for more light/brighter display light? If so I would see about fiddling with how long the light is on for and see if that helps.
My light took a crap. So I bought a new one

It's a filamentous algae. How long are your lights running each day, and what kind of light is it? Brand, kelvin rating, etc.

Put it on a timer for no more than 8 hours.

It's a filamentous algae. How long are your lights running each day, and what kind of light is it? Brand, kelvin rating, etc.

Put it on a timer for no more than 8 hours.
Features

Lumen: 2000LEDs: 42x 0.50WConfig: 29x 10000K, 6x Actinic 460nm, 3x Red 620nm, 4x Green 520nm

Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light*

On A timer. 8 on full 2 hours blue then off.

The actinics are your problem. Turn them off completely after 8 hours. No "moon" lights.
If after a couple weeks you're still getting algae, make it 6 hours.

Ok my old light I had running 14 hours And it was perfect. This new one is a challenge to get the right on off time. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom