UGHH!!! bought a light fixture and the bulbs are dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought a 75 dollar nova extreme with 2 bulbs not 4

the packaging came with the fixture and bulbs separately

the light didnt turn on when i plugged it in and so i shook the bulbs, and i hear rattling in both

im really pissed right now because i bought it from amazon and have NEVER had a bad experience, filed a claim .5 seconds after they better send me new bulbs!!! :( the worst part is i dont know if my actual fixture is broken either because i cant test it with new bulbs, might go to home depot to try n find a really cheap light lol

are the nova extremes known to have poor quality? while applying the docking parts i felt like it was really cheaply made :/

i was hesitant to buy this on amazon because it had no ratings but a lot of people recommended it

I have no experience with that light so really couldn't tell you ,

but like my grandfather always told me

if you buy cheap you get cheap

i seriously do regret buying the nova extreme. I know i took the cheap way out but they were nothing but positive feedback from multiple forums :/

however, once i opened it, it felt like it cost 20 dollars to make :/
i guess i should of spent a few more bucks

i noticed in my manual it said this isnt designed to dock above my aquarium, i must have a glass mount or something, luckily i do but what are the dangers of not using it? i like the idea of it being open and docked lol

im going to order 2 new bulbs, a 10k and 460, just like the fixture came with, but i want to buy them from a different source

i think ill try dr fosters, since they are a big name. Any suggestions for bulb brand? they are mostly within the same price range (~18) each

mfdrookie516 said:
Nothing cheap about Current brand fixtures. They're a quality fixture. You can't judge a fixture by the broken bulbs that came with it.

This is the absolute truth. You did buy a good light fixture. You also can't fairly blame Amazon if something bad happened in transit. If anything bad happens Amazon will make it right. The thing that separates a good company can only be judged when something bad happens. A lousy company will give you the runaround and a good one will take care of you. Amazon will stand behind you. :)

Almost all fluorescent bulbs rattle even when they are perfect. It's a part of manufacturing the tube (it's usually a tiny nipple of glass). Double check the connections at the endcaps. They need to be on them very solidly. I honestly doubt that both bulbs would be bad if they're not broken. If you know somebody who can use a multimeter it would be a good idea to check the fixture. Best of luck.

ill retest when i get home, i was sure i had a secure connection, i even flipped the bulbs and tried them in the other slot. It wasnt a light shake, it was like a piece of metal going up and down the entire thing, the other wasnt as loud but nether of them turned on

although i am starting to doubt myself, maybe i shouldnt of shook it harder to even see if it was broken cuz i know that can make it worse

Back
Top Bottom