Ultimate substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since I am moving within the next 6 months it the perfect time to change my substrate. I've always had gravel realized that I am only effectively able to grow stem plants, anubias, and java fern. Just need experienced advice on what substrate worked well .

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like play sand. It looks good, is easy to plant in, and holds plants down when it's deep enough (2-3")
I would stay away from floramax, eco complete, or similar shape products because IME they are a PITA to plant in. Stems snap off and it doesn't hold plants down as well IME

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like play sand. It looks good, is easy to plant in, and holds plants down when it's deep enough (2-3")
I would stay away from floramax, eco complete, or similar shape products because IME they are a PITA to plant in. Stems snap off and it doesn't hold plants down as well IME

+1 on both points, although I prefer black sand simply for the look.

EC is nice but really is a pain...

I really don't want sand. I really want something fertile for the long haul. I like the look of dirted tanks but next year when I move I need some substrate that is already wet and easy to scape with.

Just to give you an idea this tank is long term sand. There's no heater, filter, or light and I don't add ferts. Jungle vals, baby tears, flame moss, ludwigia, dwarf sag. I have to do a big trim at least once a month.

img_3314155_0_7e51814355d916f6a60c7cd9ef4eeb47.jpg

Aquasoil, substrate is something to spend extra on. Brightwell is pretty good too..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've just started a new thread on soil which may help you make up your mind. It's titled, the soil substrate explained. It details the benefits of soil and IMO theoretically there is no better. In practice I have had pleasing results but cannot compare against other substrates except gravel.

Just to give you an idea this tank is long term sand. There's no heater, filter, or light and I don't add ferts. Jungle vals, baby tears, flame moss, ludwigia, dwarf sag. I have to do a big trim at least once a month.

img_3314196_0_7e51814355d916f6a60c7cd9ef4eeb47.jpg

That's really cool looking! What kind of lights do you have? Is the baby tears floating? Which species of baby tears is it?

Thanks

I've have used EcoComplete in both low and high light planted tanks with success. Yes, like gravel, debris will accumulate in it. I don't gravel vac so it is basically like mud beneath the surface. I fertilize infrequently but the high CEC properties appear to attract and retain nutrients. I use tweezers/tongs while planting.
Pros: grows plants well, hides debris
Cons: traps debris
I wish the fine grain black version of EC was still available. IMO it would be the best of both worlds.
I have yet to try the fancier substrates (Brightwell, ADA) but have heard great stories about them.

I have Eco-Complete in my 54g tank that has been up and running for over 5 years. It has gone through a transition from high tech to now a relatively low tech tank. It has done well. I just do not care of the look of the substrate.

My new 40B I used Brightwell (didn't want to wait for ever on the ADA soils) I am very pleased with the look of the tank and the root growth in a month is pretty impressive. I layered the substrate with large particles on the bottom building up to the extra fine on the top layer. This worked great as it is super easy to plant in and the small granules create a suction and help to hold the plants in place.

I'm going to be setting up an ADA 60F very soon and will use the same substrate in that system. I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. So many decisions!

I have Eco-Complete in my 54g tank that has been up and running for over 5 years. It has gone through a transition from high tech to now a relatively low tech tank. It has done well. I just do not care of the look of the substrate.

My new 40B I used Brightwell (didn't want to wait for ever on the ADA soils) I am very pleased with the look of the tank and the root growth in a month is pretty impressive. I layered the substrate with large particles on the bottom building up to the extra fine on the top layer. This worked great as it is super easy to plant in and the small granules create a suction and help to hold the plants in place.

I'm going to be setting up an ADA 60F very soon and will use the same substrate in that system. I'm pleased with it.

I really like the look and the reviews of the Brightwell. Think I am going to use that for my 75 gallon, but its going to be expensive! Know anywhere to get it for a reasonable price? :D

I really like the look and the reviews of the Brightwell. Think I am going to use that for my 75 gallon, but its going to be expensive! Know anywhere to get it for a reasonable price? :D

I got mine from Dr. Fosters & Smith. I spent $109 for my 40B.

The only thing I would do differently if I could start again is to order some ADA Power Sand S to put as a base layer before adding the substrate.

I understand the $$ part of this hobby, investing in quality lighting, quality CO2 and a quality substrate system will save you a lot of headache down the road. I put a lot of substrate in my tank because I wanted to bank it up high so I could have gotten away with less.

I'm going to use this same substrate in my ADA 60F that will be here shortly. I am going to order some ADA Powersand as a base layer under the substrate.

So far I am very happy with my decision to go with this substrate.

Ok now I have a predicament I have 3 angelicus botia and 1 yoyo. Can I still have a dirted tank?

Thinking of just going with Miracle-Gro organic. Maybe mix some clay into the Miracle-Gro and cap with black gravel. Still debating on the depth. I want to have a slope up towards the back.

Back
Top Bottom