Um...is it okay for cats to drink from the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so i get up this morning, and go out to turn on my tank light. Mr. McSqueekers had flipped the lid off the hob filter, and was merrily lapping up the fish-flavored water. I didn't yell at him...he wasn't messing anything up with it, or trying to 'fish', but just drinking.

Anyway, is this normal, or should I worry?

Completely normal. Except for the cat hair that gets in the tank, everything is fine. I have two cats that knock the filter tops off and the third cat takes advantage of it!

I believe that the less contaminants, such as cat slobber, in a tank, the better. I'd just keep a keen eye on the tank AND Mr MCSQUEEKERS. MY cat had done a similar thing, so I pointed after picking him up and firmly said NO while pointing. He meowed indifference, and tried the next day, and I just repeated, this time looking him eye to eye(he and I have this sort of link that is a better reception when I Eye to Eye with him.) Well, he wound up really constipated by lunch, Then Really the opposite by next morning. I guess the Aqua safe I added after his first intrusion acted like a laxative, and the fishies feared his visage for a while, resulting in a lot of stress coat usage, cause he loves his fish watching routine. They all play well now, the fish swim to the front when I and my cat, On my shoulder like a pirate and parrot duo come up and feed and gaze. He, the cat, Often paws at them with minimal stress to them, they merely circle and occassionally splash the surface in comment.
Well, just keep a keen eye on all of your friends, fin or fur, leave plenty of h2o for MCsqueeker, and perhaps a small weight or a latch device or tape on your hood and filter cover, add Stress coat, the fishies must sense intrusion in their habitat, as the ph of a male cat is Alkaline, and may thus adversely, probably minutely affect your tank. The habit of adding sea, or non iodized salt is a good one too, there is a theory that salt inhibits certain harmful micro and parasitic forms, and the fish use the salts to keep a healthier stress coat.
G'day

as the ph of a male cat is Alkaline, and may thus adversely, probably minutely affect your tank.
If the cat is urinating in the tank, I would be concerned. A few links will not cause any harm.
The habit of adding sea, or non iodized salt is a good one too, there is a theory that salt inhibits certain harmful micro and parasitic forms, and the fish use the salts to keep a healthier stress coat.
I have a brackish water tank, using marine grade salt and the cats love it and no harm has been done :roll:
At my house, it's not just a matter of the HOB tops, the cats stick their noses in and get any water they can--even from the tanks with canister filters.
As for stress coat, that has never had an effect on my girls, but YMMV.

Hey again, just a safety precaution here for HUMANS. Don't Do like I just did and have a bowl of cereal without checking your milk first. I was soo caught up typing, I had an entire bowl. I finished and submitted, then went for some more milk, Which smelled, well, just a little akward. I dumped it because of the presence of swirls of foamy bubbles on the surface as well. Just goes to show the relationships and similarities of pets and pet parents.

P.S. after a week, he has since stopped trying to lap from the tank.

My cat is gloating right now.

I'm not a cat, but I suppose drinking from the HOB filter beats drinking from the toilet :drain:

Oh, and let me guess, your cat completely ignores the bowl of fresh water you leave out every day, right? :roll:

Oh, and let me guess, your cat completely ignores the bowl of fresh water you leave out every day, right?

I know mine does. The cat only wants to drink out of the shower, as soon as you get out of the shower, the cat runs in and starts licking up water. I think she likes the taste of soap :roll:

When I do water changes, I use a big tub right in front of my tank, Rufus(my fat cat) all but gets in it drinking and playing in the water. When I had the ten gallon on my counter in the kitchen he also used to drink out of the filter. We just let him. No harm done.

Oh, and let me guess, your cat completely ignores the bowl of fresh water you leave out every day, right?
That's correct.
The cat only wants to drink out of the shower, as soon as you get out of the shower, the cat runs in and starts licking up water.
Two of mine do that too!! What's going on in their fuzzy little heads?

Actually when i was a lil younger i had a 10 gallon on a stand relatively low to the floor. My dog (german shepard) would knock the top off and drink all the time, mostly from the HOB filter. I eventually was able to stop him from doing that but it showed no adverse affects to my tank

It's the same reason my dog would rather drink out of the toilet...fresh water! I don't know what it is but when water sits around stagnant, it tastes awful. I have a glass of water next to my bed at night in case I wake up and need a drink, but if I leave it there until the next evening, I can't drink it because I think it tastes stale. I would think that an animal is no different, they want water that is 'fresh' and perhaps the water movement of the filter keeps it that way for them?

Paul

My cat loves to drink all the qater but hers. I even have a "cat-it" drinking fountain that keeps the water cold and fresh, but nope the water in the bamboo plant, shower ,toilet and HOB are much better... ...My little critter loves chasing my red-tailed shark in the tank. She will try and try to get through the glass but never with any luck... ...keep trying cutie

Back
Top Bottom