Un-level aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebelyeller89

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had this brainstorm that it would be really cool to put my 5 gallon hex on my bar so all could enjoy from my dining room and kitchen. Buuut, now that it's filled back up it's a bit unleveled. I hope you can tell from the picture. The water comes right up to the rim on one side, then on the other it's probably a half-inch or more. What I'm wondering is do you think this will cause too much stress?

Attachments

• image-1000466164.jpg
    image-1000466164.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 137
So I had this brainstorm that it would be really cool to put my 5 gallon hex on my bar so all could enjoy from my dining room and kitchen. Buuut, now that it's filled back up it's a bit unleveled. I hope you can tell from the picture. The water comes right up to the rim on one side, then on the other it's probably a half-inch or more. What I'm wondering is do you think this will cause too much stress?

I can see the it very clearly. I had the same issue with my 5gallon hex. I dont think there is enough volume in the water to stress the aquarium walls but, level it put shims under one side.

Wow. Shows how smart I am. I didn't even think of that ::smacks forehead::

Dont be hard on yourself, this doesnt show how smart you are. Sometimes you just have to get outside opinions because ideas can be overlooked all the time.

What do you have in your 5gallon hex?

I agree that in an aquarium this small, it probably won't matter much in terms of stress. In larger tanks, it is very important that the tank is level however.

Right now, duckweed. I'm using it at a quarantine until I get my 75 gallon stocked. Once that is done, I'm considering turning it into a pico reef

Shimming a tank is a bad idea. You risk torsional forces that can cause failure. You are better to leave it as is. You could put it on a shimmed base, but really, it isn't worth the trouble.

Shimming a tank is a bad idea. You risk torsional forces that can cause failure. You are better to leave it as is. You could put it on a shimmed base, but really, it isn't worth the trouble.

Agreed. You would want to shim the stand the tank is on, not the tank itself.

On a larger tank I would be more inclined to do something like that, but I've shimmed a few tanks (small tanks, 10g or less) that are on less traditional surfaces like countertops and end tables without any issue.

I also have a habit of moving smaller tanks half full, so maybe I'm just a rebel :p

my 10 and 20 are both on my desk,which is slightly tilted(like... 1/8 inch),so you should be fine.

Hate to say it but I am so happy other people have floors that aren't level :) What I hate is when they aren't level in two directions...side to side AND front to back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom