Unexpected Jewel Cichlid babies! (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidice79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mix of cichlid's in my 67gal tank and I noticed the other day that two of the 3 jewel's have paired off and started a family! Below is Mum and Dad. It's not a great shot but the best I could do in a rush.
img_802198_0_a72537abd2147d8db7c2aca299c86f44.jpg

And now the babies
img_802198_1_ccaa04eab46cf0a59bd8b91325fcc74b.jpg

img_802198_2_f61731825eee3ccd8c9042b0400c9419.jpg

So far they are terrific parents, there must be at least 50 fry, but I'm at a total loss as to what I'm supposed to do! This is so completely unexpected, and I've never bred cichlid's before so I don't know if I should rush out and buy a breeding trap to keep the bubbies in or leave everyone alone and let nature do her thing. I also don't have a spare tank set up that I can throw anyone into or any baby food for fish. Help!! What should I do?

Since you don't have another tank for them, I would leave them and let nature take it's course

Congrats. Mom and Dad will be great parents. They will terrorize everything in the tank to protect their young.

Thankyou, thankyou. It was a very proud moment when I realised. And then came the thoughts of what do I do. All the others fish have stayed away but if they get too close mum or dad will chase them away. No-one has been hurt so far.

I've decided to let nature take her course. I have high quality flake food that I'm crushing up really tiny for the bubbies. Cross everything that at least a few survive!

I feel your pain. Not being ready is frustrating at the least.

Those are some beautiful fish though.

Good Luck!

Hey thanks Sparky, they are definitely my favourites in the tank. It all ended badly though. All the fry were eaten. Each morning when I got up to check there were less each time. However, mum and dad are at it again! I noticed some more fry this afternoon. I have a tiny 14 litre tank with a HOB filter that I plan to use as a nursery, provided it cycles in time and the babies don't get eaten this time. MTS has struck again!

The tank and filter are brand new so I took some water from my big tank and filled the small one with it and took some of the substrate out and chucked it in the tank too. I have no idea where an ammonia source will come from though. Maybe crushed up flake food?

Back
Top Bottom