Unexpected new Addition-Pangasius Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nivluke18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the hobby and last January decided to get a goldfish bowl since I could not get my 200 gallon dream tank now. Went to the LFS and learned why goldfish bowl is impracticle and decided I would get a smaller tank to "learn and grow up on" before my 200G. In the same day, came home with a 35 G, decided it was too small so I returned it and came back with a 50G. Had a 50G for about 2 months and after it was fully cycled I bought a 75G and am loving every minute of it.

My husband's stock contributions initially were 2 Molly's (that we had to give up because the tank wasnt cycled and found out they were big poopers) and 2 mini peppercorn catfish. My husband recently wanted to add another catfish so I told him to go buy one as our peppercorn he felt needed more company. He came home with an upside down catfish and a Pangasius! Of course Petsmart sold him a Pangasius without informing him that it gets up to 25 inches and will eat small fish that can fit in it's mouth whole as an adult.

Can I keep this fish in my 75G until I have my 200G (in about 1.5 years as I am waiting until our upcoming move to set up) and will it even get along with my Red Finned Shark?

I am very worried and slightly irritated at LFS not husband. :facepalm: I dont want to make him return it as he has been so supportive of my tank addiction and every time he gets a fish something seems to happen.

Any thoughts?

Not to be rude, but it's not really up to any store to tell you everything about every single fish. Petsmart in particular has clear signs telling you that Pangasius get 25+ and are semi aggressive.
That being said, they dont grow hugely fast ibmy experience, so while waiting would be ok, I always tell people to stock to they have, not the tank they will get. Too often something comes up and you are unable to upgrade for whatever reason.
I do not believe the Pangasius will be an issue with the red finned shark. Both are pretty different looking as to not spark aggression in the shark, and the shark will eventually be too large for the pangasius to eat.

Pangasius fish can get huge. They're usually for eating, but can be as pets. I'd recommend returning it. Even for a 200 gallon, he's gonna be too big. You're fish options might be too limited if you keep him. I know they get 4 feet or over. That's in nature since they hunt for food, but it doesn't go that much down for pet fish. You're main factor will be the aggressiveness, and the size.

Thank you both for the advice and suggestions. I certainly don't want him to suffer as he gets too big even for the 200. The pictures of the adults are huge. Have a great week.

Back
Top Bottom