Unidentified fish!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a orange pregnant fish. I forget the name of the species howvever. I thou dj t I heard it was called a swordtail but it doesnt have the bard. Is the barb only on the males? She was in a tank with about 6 other pregnant fish of the same species. She was th only orang one. she is a lighr orange. Not the prettiwst fish either. I think its either a molly or a platy. Any help figuring out what it is would be great or even a picture so I could confirm the fish. Thank you!!!

This is a female swordtail, she is still only about a month or so old but she will not grow a barb like the males do.

PicsArt_1345868928826.jpg

Does your fish look like that?

It is definetly a sqordtail then I juat didnt think so because she didnt have a barb but now I know. Thank you all! Do you know how many fry she will have the first time pregnant?

She will have 30+ babies judging by her size. I had a big female give birth to 60+ babies.

None of the babies made it to adulthood in my case. I wasn't trying to raise them. I guess that's why you don't count your eggs before they hatch.

butterfly_koi said:
This is a female swordtail, she is still only about a month or so old but she will not grow a barb like the males do.

Does your fish look like that?

It took a few months for my swordtail fry to start to develop his barb and gonopodium so don't be surprised if she turns out to be a he.

Back
Top Bottom