unknown coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brat213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what type of coral this is? The lfs store said it was a type of gorgonia, possibly. The pictures arent the best but maybe somebody can tell. THanks!! More and better Pictures in the photo gallery in brat's 55 album. this was the only picture that it would let me post here and probably the worst, the other were to large.
Thanks again!

From the pic it looks like Green Star Polyps that have encrusted over a Staghorn skeleton. I'm sure that's not it ... just need a better picture I think.

Without a much clearer pic showing much more definition, it is hard to be certain, but I agree with Guy. It looks like some GSP that have encrusted a coral skeleton. Several years ago, I did that with a gorgonian skeleton and some GSP. I'd make several then sell them to the LFS. There was mention made of this in The Reef Aquarium, Vol II. I did look at the photos in the album and they weren't much more help.

I sure wish I could get a better picture. I've tried but no luck so far.
I'm pretty sure it is not a green star polyp. no green in it. kinnda pinkish. I'm thinking the lfs said it was a encrusting gorgian. But they weren't sure. And I haven't found any pictures of what they look like.

brat213 said:
I'm pretty sure it is not a green star polyp. no green in it. kinnda pinkish. I'm thinking the lfs said it was a encrusting gorgian.

If not receiving enough light GSP will look brown to pink, I received some GSP about a month and a half ago and it took them about a month to develop a green color. GSP's mat that encrusts the rock or whatever is pink to purple in color. While it is more than possible that it is something else, we really need a better pic to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom