unknown growth on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone --

There have been some patches of this thick covering on the LR ever since I got it almost a year ago. I upgraded my lights from 50/50 to PC about a month ago, and it seems that the stuff is spreading. I always assumed it was a feature of the particular rock that had it, but since it's growing, I suppose it's some sort of algea or other critter. The patch of it in the picture did not exist 3 weeks ago.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Matt

PS -- It's amazing what comes out when you upgrade the lights -- it's like getting the new rock all over again :)

Attachments

• 122_2270__small_.jpg
    122_2270__small_.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 151
I'm not sure. Is it leathery? Does it have any openings like a sponge? or polyps?

I have patches of this on my LR. It doesn't spread much at all, for me. I suspect is some kind of soft coral or sponge. Don't expect it to get any more interesting...that's all it will ever look like!

I have several of those on one of my polyp rocks. Mine are yellow but look just like that. I think they are a sponge, but have had them in and out of the tank several times and they have not gone away. I had heard that sponges have to stay submerged and not exposed to air, so I don't know.

Looks like a sponge to me.I have a few in one of my tanks as well and they have not gotten much bigger than the one you are showing and they have been in the tank for about 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom