unknown sick platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan12

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello,
i have a male platy in an aquarium and it is just lying there fluttering its front fins. it does not have swim bladder or any other visible sickness. it is in an aquarium with 1 shubunkin,(the other recently died), 2 hif-fi skirt tetras, and 2 long fin red tetras. my water reading are all perfect. chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are 0. my water is semi-soft.
thanks in advance.

i should also mention that i have another pregnant platy in the same aquarium.

i have re-examined the fish and it looks like it is getting paralyzed. now to can barely move its gills and only one front fin. does anyone know what could be causing this?

How big is the tank the fish is in? The 14g on the my tanks tab? I find that the 'you can put a few platties in a 10g' assessment is incorrect. It does nothing but breed bad behavior and death. A lot of unexplained problems are caused by small aquariums. In my experience, a fish that exceeds a size larger than a neon tetra or dwarf shrimp species should not be kept in small bodies of water. Also, Ive also noticed that fish do much better when there is alot to interact with in thier environment. Tropical fish do an order of magnitude better in a larger, well planted aquarium. Also the goldfish may be stressing it out. I have found that fancy goldfish tend to be a little more curious than standard comets. And what temperature are you keeping the tank at?

Back
Top Bottom