Unknown Synodontis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone who knows anything about Synodontis help me out. I purchased three synos yesterday at my lfs and they were just labeled "synodontis cat." Research on the internet has proven pretty useless. It has big black spots on most of its body, except its face where they are tiny black dots. No white tipped fins. White whiskers. I will try to post a picture. If anyone could take a guess at what type syno, that would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120310_085217.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120310_085217.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 103
Petricola cat? I can't really tell from the pic but google it n take a look! Let me know

Petricola cat? I can't really tell from the pic but google it n take a look! Let me know

I'm positive it isn't a petricola just because it doesn't have the white outline on the fins. They are just spotted like the rest of its body. I'll try a better picture.

Sorry its probably not your pic, I'm on the forum on my phone so can't see that well.

It looks like a cuckoo cat from the picture or multipunctutas cat. members of the syno family.

Yeah thanks guys for trying to help me. Its tough to differentiate. All the one's you've suggested are one's i've been thinking they might be. I have tried to get pictures, and despite them being very outgoing and active, they are apparently scared of my phone. 9 times out of 10 they are sitting perfectly still, I snap a picture, and as it takes the photo they decide its time to move again.

Ryanlr88 said:
Yeah thanks guys for trying to help me. Its tough to differentiate. All the one's you've suggested are one's i've been thinking they might be. I have tried to get pictures, and despite them being very outgoing and active, they are apparently scared of my phone. 9 times out of 10 they are sitting perfectly still, I snap a picture, and as it takes the photo they decide its time to move again.

Fish seem to be camera shy don't they, I have tried so many times to catch a good pic of my BGK but he is so quick lol it drives me mad.

Make the room dark. Turn on the light in the tank and turn off the flash off on your camera. They won't suspect a thing.

Heck yeah. Best picture ever. If this was pokemon snap I would definitely have a high score. So if anyone recognizes what kind they are that would be great. They could definitely be a hybrid of some sort too.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120310_193729.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120310_193729.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 67
Guinness said:
Synodontis petricola - Dwarf Lake Synodontis, False Cuckoo Synodontis
Adjust Text Size :

Try this link. It might help.

Cuz that worked (not) lol

It's a website called seriously fish. Have a look on there. Couldn't copy the link for some reason. Sorry. :)

Yep, they're hybrids, multipunctatus and decorus to be exact. Purebred decorus look quite similar but have striped tails, and the overall pattern of spots is just a bit different as well. Those actually look like they may have been a hybrid crossed back to a decorus. Just hope they don't grow as large as pure decorus, those are some fairly big fish.

Back
Top Bottom