Unusual kenyi behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male kenyi that is yellow and far from dominate in the tank and it keeps getting chased around and pushed into hiding by the females. What could be the cause of this backward seeming aggression?

What color are the females, and how large are the females compared to the male? How many females are there?

4 females which I bought two different occasions when I purchased them the male was the largest of the bunch but the females seem to be growing more quickly. Now one of them is a bit bigger all around than the male, I'll post some pictures when I can get some good ones

Forgot to mention that they're blue.

It's super hard to get pictures of them >.<... The male has now been pushed to the corner :/ and is turning blue :( It's the now larger female mostly or what I assume to be female have not vented it but it's blue all the same. Fairly dominate fish to not show yellow so figured female.

I believe your fish are still smaller right? Id vent them to be sure. Its not uncommon for females to turn yellow, especially when preparing to breed. Usually it's in tiny amounts, or the get more egg spots, but a female Kenyi turning full yellow is not unheard of.
Kenyi's are pretty mean, I'd be patient with it, and just see how it unfolds, but id vent to make sure as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe your fish are still smaller right? Id vent them to be sure. Its not uncommon for females to turn yellow, especially when preparing to breed. Usually it's in tiny amounts, or the get more egg spots, but a female Kenyi turning full yellow is not unheard of.
Kenyi's are pretty mean, I'd be patient with it, and just see how it unfolds, but id vent to make sure as well.

Although typically a female will show male coloration when the dominant specimen, not a submissive individual...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's odd the females seem to be growing at a much faster rate than the male is that normal with this species?

It's odd the females seem to be growing at a much faster rate than the male is that normal with this species?

In my experience every fish is different. There's not a standard growth rate, it's like kids. Different metabolisms, genetics, etc.

Back
Top Bottom