Up and running for 3 months and Dory needs a friend...Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafe Jeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, we finally took the saltwater plunge.
Our little 20 gallon with about 15lbs of base rock, 15 lbs of live rock and more circulation than you can shake a plastic frond at has been up and running for about 3 months now. After a month of staring into the salty-emptiness, we added a peppermint shrimp, a few little crabs -- forget which types --, a brittle star and a yellow tail damsel. Two months later, everyone is doing well -- better than I had ever expected -- but as my three year old reminds me each day, Dory needs a friend... Feeling smug at our success, I am now liable to agree.
What would my aquarium advice friends suggest would be suitable co-tankist for Dory and her invertebrate friends. We just want something sturdy, colorful, ideally with a bit of a personality and who won't eat shrimpy or be cowed to death by Dory. Jeff

Oh thank goodness I started reading and you said Dory I was thinking you ment the tang dory vs having a yellow tail named dory. For a 20 gal tank and the fact the damsel has been in the tank for a few month by itself you might find it hard to get a companion thats not going to be harrassed. A sand sifting goby would be a good addition that might not get harrassed to much. Other possibilities would include a fire fish or maroon clown.

No. Just a yellow tail damsel.
I like your suggestions. The clown can be Marlin and the sand shifting goby can, well, shift some sand. I may even spring for both as I think my LFS will have both in stock.
May rearrange the live rock to shake things up a bit. Jeff

I'd steer clear of the maroon in a 20, but that's JMHO. I have one and she's pretty big now (about 3yo) and they can be kinda mean (though she isn't). They also like to stir the sand a LOT when they mature. A very undesireable behaivor. In spite of all of that I love mine, I just wouldn't recommend one for a small tank.

LOL. I thought the same thing about the tang in the 20g. Glad to hear it was just a damsel! I'm not sure what fish I'd put in with the damsel. I'd personally like a flame angel and a gramma (not sure the gramma would fare so well against the damsel though).

I know enough from lurking in the Saltwater forums that if I put (and admitted to the world) a tang in a 20, Aquariumadvicers would come and hunt me down.
I can have a flame angel? I had thought that a 20 precluded any sort of angel bar a fresh water one. Will have to look into that one. I'd love to have a flame angel. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom