up and running.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok. all my equipment has came and i have it all up and running. 150watt HQI light, 3-600maxi jet power heads, 150watt heater
all seems to good to be true right? wrong ! :( well i got 3 maxi jet 600s with a wavemaker and i noticed that these 600's are not very powerfull. i think they might have been if they were all on at once but thier not. as 1 goes off one comes on and the one i have pointed at the surface i have on a 1 min on and 1 min off . i know some corals deppend on strong water current. my question is with this wave maker and these 3 power heads will i be fine? dont forget i do also have a HOB refuge thats is not on yet but will be when the water warms up and the live rock is placed in. thats going to most likey make the surface ripple right there.

Looks very nice Frogspawn. I think once you get your LR in there you`ll be OK. If push comes to shove just run the PH`s together. I think you`ll be OK. Cant wait to see the tank full of LR and Fish and corals. Most corals will need moderate flow. There are some the need high flow but you can deal with that when it comes.

i realy like the idea of the wavemaker. how could i make this work out? do i need to buy 3 900's instead. i can do that if needed to? or will that be too much? or mabey even 1200's since only 1 comes on at a time?

This is only a 30 gallon tank right? Those 3 should be OK. I`ve never had a wavemaker so maybe others have a suggestion.

I run 2 1200s for water movement and they are on 24/7. Also have another one powering a remora and a 900 powering the chiller. Great pumps, maybe you can exchange the 600's for a few 1200s or even 900's

I would think those three 600s would be fine. You could always run two continuous, and just hook one up to the wave maker, or some combination like that. They all don't have to be alternating.

It's really hard to tell about flow until you get some rock in there, as well as fish and coral. When my tank was cycling, I had tons of flow. After I added my clown, I realized I had way too much flow and toned it down. Fish and corals are all happy now.

I'd wait until you get some rockwork in there and some inhabitants. It'll be easier to know what to do then. Plus you'll be moving those powerheads around every other day for a week anyway, so you might as well just put off getting your hands wet until then! :)

That's why I had recommenced the 900 pumps but unfortunately your order for the 600 had already been placed.

I agree it's not really that much of an issue and if you plumb the Mag 7 or 9.5 to power your UV and fuge then the ph will probably not even be needed. Is the fuge (60+ lbs) supported in the back at all?

That might prove to be more difficult though since the fuge takes up so much room, I can't see any problem with doing it from the side though.

Are you sticking with the Bak-Pak skimmer?

Nice looking tank by the way (y) Cute photo of your son too :lol:

thanks. hes a hand full.
the refuge is supported by a 2x4, plus i have my backpac skimmer hanging on the refuge because i dont have anywhere to put it on the main tank. its not running yet till i get my mag9.5 should be in today or tomarrow I HOPE :)
is it ok to place the skimmer on the refuge? if not i have no where else to put it. the light tanks up most of the space on the top.
thanks again

Since only one PH is on at a time 900 or may be even 1200's would be better. Flow is just as important , if not more, as light for corals. Random, turbulent flow is best. When you get the Mag up and running you'll know better how the flow is behaving.

The skimmer would do better on the main tank but it still should skim on the fuge.

I thought the Wavemaster pro alternated between the 1st and 2nd PH with the 3rd one set more random.

shotvt9.gif

i was going to get the wave master pro. till the girl friend seen the price lol then that was booted out the door.. now i got this wave maker. i guess it does the job but i might sneak a few dollars out and go buy it lol

I happy w/ my SCWD on a mag 9.5, but that wavemaker looks awesome! I did not realize the amount of flow options they offered.

I was in the same boat as Kurt_Nelson. I have only a 20 deep and I put in only one 600 and once I put a clown in there I found that there was way to much flow. He was getting pushed all over the place. So I took the powerhead out and my skimmer and biowheel provide enough flow for the tank now and my clown is doing great. So I think that it all just depends on the circumstances

yea i think i am going to stay with the 600's my self. no reason to jump to a 900 till i know for shure i need them. plus i have a extra one if i need it. as for the UV light i think i am going to see how the tank does with out a UV light but i am doubtful it will be my first time with out one lol could spell trouble. i ordered the 9.5 today and i will have it under my tank just incase.
thanks again guys for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom