update: mystery phallus has bloomed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notmuffy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this velvety coating on one of my rocks that doesn't ever seem to do much, except today I noticed some clear stuff peeling off of it (which the tomato clown was picking at). It looks very much like the thin transparent membrane on an onion. The photo came out bad but I tried to point out the color difference between the slimed vs no slime.
Does anyone know a. What this velvet stuff is, and b. is it bad or good to be 'shedding'?

Also I have always wondered what that thing is on the top. We call it "the p-enis thing" :D In the photo is is bending away from the light. At night it is straight up. It is not a polyp, it is just this weird smooth thing that can contract, extend, bend and harden um... just like.... well, you know. :twisted:
UPDATE: Early this morning I caught the p-enis thing opened up almost like a button polyp! It is definitely not a button, though. We have had it for 6 months and I never saw it 'blooming' like this before, probably cuz it only does it at night. During the day it bends and sorta lays flat against the rock (as opposed to straight up as you see in my new photo). I think it hates the light. It doesn't look like any of the sea squirt photos I could find... any new ideas?

Re: Velvet stuff losing slime coat, and mystery phallus

notmuffy said:
I have this velvety coating on one of my rocks that doesn't ever seem to do much,
It looks like a type of velvety coralline that will most times grow in a less lit setting. Typically it will be found in the tank where there is indirect or little light not in direct light.

I noticed some clear stuff peeling off of it (which the tomato clown was picking at). It looks very much like the thin transparent membrane on an onion. The photo came out bad but I tried to point out the color difference between the slimed vs no slime.
Does anyone know a. What this velvet stuff is, and b. is it bad or good to be 'shedding'?
The shedding could be simple die off from the LR or a type of calcerous sponge also one that usually grows in less lit area's. Other than that, the pic was not clear enough to tell.

Also I have always wondered what that thing is on the top. We call it "the *beep* thing" :D In the photo is is bending away from the light. At night it is straight up. It is not a polyp, it is just this weird smooth thing that can contract, extend, bend and harden um... just like.... well, you know. :twisted:
Could be a type of tunicata or sea squirt but not 100% sure...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom