Update of Beengirl's 55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I FINALLY got a decent pic of my YWG and tiger pistol!! It can be days and days between sightings of these guys sometimes. So here's the BFFs:

image-2635691782.jpg

image-212722776.jpg

Just thought this was funny:

Was feeding tonight and I put some food in the pistol/goby's burrow entrance as usual. Shortly after that, a Nassarius went into the burrow, following the scent of food, and about 30 seconds later the pistol was pushing the snail out of the burrow!! Haha. It was funny to watch him pushing the snail out of his home. :D

You're lucky he didn't drag the nassarius further in.......... and finish him off.

I know, right??!!! My daughter saw the snail cruise in there and was yelling at me to save it (not sure how I was supposed to do that cuz it was ENTIRELY in the burrow), and then we saw him getting pushed out! Lol. The pistol has pulled snails cruising by into the burrow before, but I guess it helped that I had just given him food. It was the snail's lucky day!! :D

Lol. Dude Been, I have similar things happen in my tank from my nar snails. I have one that is half the size of my blood shrimp that motors over everything.

Yeah, when the Nassarius catch onto the smell of food, they're kinda like the bloodhounds of the tanks-just barreling their way to the food and not worried about anything else. Haha
I have some good sized Nassarius too, but here's a pic of one of the baby Nassarius that hatched a little while back. They were even tinier, a little bigger now. Still pretty small, though-that brain near it is only about 2" across, but looks HUGE next to the baby nass. Lol

image-3360004919.jpg

Yeah, I was pretty surprised any babies hatched- I thought they'd all be eaten by the fish before they did. :)

My Nas snails breed like rabbits but the fish and inverts never eat them. But my cleaner & peppermint shrimp drop fry almost weekly and those get gobbled up uber quick.

Tank looks great btw!

Your tank looks cool. I'll be asking you when I have questions about mine as well. I want to do the shrimp goby thing as well. So cool!!!

SRC <><

What is the funniest part of the goby shrimp duo? Are gobies and blennies ok together? I want get a lawnmower blenny as well.

What is the funniest part of the goby shrimp duo? Are gobies and blennies ok together? I want get a lawnmower blenny as well.

Just realized I only answered part I this question. :) I like the goby/shrimp combo cuz it's fun to watch them when the shrimp is digging and building. At first they didn't come out too much, but they've gotten more comfortable and come out more now. If you get a combo, put some shell fragments outside of the burrow opening and the shrimp will pull them in to use to shore up his walls inside. He can pull in pieces that ill think are way too big for him, but he does it. He's really strong for his size. He's quite the engineer, uses flat pieces as overhangs. One time he had this small flat piece and he reached up to put it on top of another shell and it fell down into the hole. This happened 3 times in a row, then finally he grabbed it, walked out and around and put it up there that way. He was determined that that piece was going in that spot. Lol.

Just realized I only answered part I this question. :) I like the goby/shrimp combo cuz it's fun to watch them when the shrimp is digging and building. At first they didn't come out too much, but they've gotten more comfortable and come out more now. If you get a combo, put some shell fragments outside of the burrow opening and the shrimp will pull them in to use to shore up his walls inside. He can pull in pieces that ill think are way too big for him, but he does it. He's really strong for his size. He's quite the engineer, uses flat pieces as overhangs. One time he had this small flat piece and he reached up to put it on top of another shell and it fell down into the hole. This happened 3 times in a row, then finally he grabbed it, walked out and around and put it up there that way. He was determined that that piece was going in that spot. Lol.

Sounds very fun. Very much looking forward to getting my own pair!

Quick question. I have a hitchhiker pistol shrimp in my tank. If i were to get a goby would they pair up?

Quick question. I have a hitchhiker pistol shrimp in my tank. If i were to get a goby would they pair up?

What's it look like? Candy cane pistol? Tiger pistol? Certain pistols pair with certain kinds of gobies in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom