Updated 60 gallon planted angelfish tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pic #18

I thought I would share this since I think it's pretty cool- one of my nerite snail laid eggs on a different nerite snails' shell! How weird is that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 118
Be aware that the eggs will stay as a white dots, and then you will start to see more, and more, and more. In the future could make the tank to look bad.

I'm just scraping them off with my algae scraper for now. If it gets too bad I can move them to my quarantine tank until I need them in my tank again if that could work...

DanTheGuppyMan said:
I thought I would share this since I think it's pretty cool- one of my nerite snail laid eggs on a different nerite snails' shell! How weird is that?

Very cool!

If you're interested in a cool means of natural snail control you may want to try an Eastern American Newt. Mine eats nearly all the baby ramshorns in the tank. They only eat baby snails and if you don't have enough you will have to supplement them with frozen bloodworms. When my snails go into breeding mode I don't feed my newt for a couple months. He does uproot tiny plants like HC when he's biting the snails off the leaves so it's something to factor in.

If you're interested in a cool means of natural snail control you may want to try an Eastern American Newt. Mine eats nearly all the baby ramshorns in the tank. They only eat baby snails and if you don't have enough you will have to supplement them with frozen bloodworms. When my snails go into breeding mode I don't feed my newt for a couple months. He does uproot tiny plants like HC when he's biting the snails off the leaves so it's something to factor in.

Do you just put the nest in the aquarium for a little while? They are semi aquatic aren't they? Or do you take the snails and put them in your newts tank?

Paxdaddy said:
Do you just put the nest in the aquarium for a little while? They are semi aquatic aren't they? Or do you take the snails and put them in your newts tank?

These are fully aquatic newts that are safe with pretty much anything that won't harm them (except tiny snails and worms). They have a short life cycle that's semi-aquatic but that's as young juveniles. The ones most shops get in are treated just like any bottom feeding fish you would get. They never come out of the water and wouldn't even in the wild unless they were looking for water if their home dried out.

These are fully aquatic newts that are safe with pretty much anything that won't harm them (except tiny snails and worms). They have a short life cycle that's semi-aquatic but that's as young juveniles. The ones most shops get in are treated just like any bottom feeding fish you would get. They never come out of the water and wouldn't even in the wild unless they were looking for water if their home dried out.

Can you provide a link to the one you are talking about? All I saw when I searched was semi aquatic

Paxdaddy said:
Can you provide a link to the one you are talking about? All I saw when I searched was semi aquatic

I'm on my iPod so I can't post a link. Eastern American newts are listed as semi-aquatic because they have a life cycle that's semi-aquatic. After that they're fully aquatic. It's only a juvenile stage. Any adult EAN you get will be fully aquatic. Juveniles will be sold in a different part of the shop if they even bother to carry them for terrariums.

Another thing is with EAN's the juvies are bright red and are called Red Efts. I kept EAN's years ago for the kids and they are actually cool little additions.

Update 12.17.12

Hey guys- been awhile since an update- the ludwigia is coming back redder than ever, gonna wait till after Christmas before I will show you guys though:) I also purchased some DHG from my lfs I was hoping to grow a carpet with as we'll as my HC but they both weren't growing so I have decided to bp up my lighting a notch. Not only will I run my Dual T5HO 6700K bulbs on it, but I am adding 2 Truelumen pro 8,000K white LED 48" strips to it, coming soon a after Christmas:) Hopefully this can allow my carpet plants to grow more and better, and I am leaving for Aspen, CO the 19th so I'm leaving it to my bud to take care of the tank till I come back on Christmas. Look forward to sharing the tank with you all soon! :D

Update 23.12.12

Hey guys! I figured I could do a little "mini" update. I am currently in Colorado right now coming back to South Carolina and my tank tomorrow, Christmas Eve. I have been gone since the 19th and I can't wait to see if anything has changed too much since I have been gone. Anyways, before I left, I noticed the red ludwigia that I trimmed down came back a lot fuller and redder so I can't wait to see how it is when I get back. My angels are doing wonderful and I may have a pic or two on my phone I can upload here...let me see...yes! I do have a couple pics I can show you. I planted some DHG in front of my driftwood 2 days before I left so ill see if the grew at all when I come back...I think that's all the new plants I put in. I also just ordered the TrueLumen LED lights I talked about last and it is coming on the 24th, the day I get back. I also ordered a drop checker for my C02 measurement and once I get all the lights and C02 stable and whatnot, I will show you guys. Oh, and does anybody know where I can get any Pogostemon helferi and/or Fissidens Fontanus? I really want some in my tank, of course I will have to wait until it warms up, but does anyone know any good websites or places to get any? I tried ExtraPlant, AquariumPlants, and Aquabd but they don't have ANY! I ordered some from Rivercats, but I don't want to inconvenience her due to all the people asking for some of her plants...

Pic #19

So I don't know why there was a sad face on my last post...but here are the pics I have. Here is the DHG I planted on the 17th...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom