Updated 60 gallon planted angelfish tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys! I figured I could do a little "mini" update. I am currently in Colorado right now coming back to South Carolina and my tank tomorrow, Christmas Eve. I have been gone since the 19th and I can't wait to see if anything has changed too much since I have been gone. Anyways, before I left, I noticed the red ludwigia that I trimmed down came back a lot fuller and redder so I can't wait to see how it is when I get back. My angels are doing wonderful and I may have a pic or two on my phone I can upload here...let me see...yes! I do have a couple pics I can show you. I planted some DHG in front of my driftwood 2 days before I left so ill see if the grew at all when I come back...I think that's all the new plants I put in. I also just ordered the TrueLumen LED lights I talked about last and it is coming on the 24th, the day I get back. I also ordered a drop checker for my C02 measurement and once I get all the lights and C02 stable and whatnot, I will show you guys. Oh, and does anybody know where I can get any Pogostemon helferi and/or Fissidens Fontanus? I really want some in my tank, of course I will have to wait until it warms up, but does anyone know any good websites or places to get any? I tried ExtraPlant, AquariumPlants, and Aquabd but they don't have ANY! I ordered some from Rivercats, but I don't want to inconvenience her due to all the people asking for some of her plants...

EBay for plants

Nah it's fine. Man I wish I was in the UK! Everything I want is from there!

Lol don't wish you wallet away UK is really pricey my tank cost me an arm and a leg but after buying the tank I found it really hard setting it up with just one arm and one leg

Alright guys. Not sure if you read, but when I came back from my vacation my tank was a disaster. The feeder overfed, which raised the ammonia, which killed all 50 of my Amano shrimp, which spiked the ammonia even more, that killed half of my nerite snails, algae and fungus spread through the tank, and all the plants were overgrown and not doing so well :( the angels survived though! :) I am trying to recover my tank and so far so good. I have been doing 75% WC back to back every 3 hours or so, and trimming and cleaning the tank as much as I can. The angels have recovered very well and are behaving a lot better now. The parameters are still a little shaky but everything else is doing great. I cut off my C02 injection until I get the tank back to normal, and this morning I noticed LOTS of pearling...I mean it was like bubbles everywhere. Never had that happen before and definitely not when my tank was in such bad shape...ill post some pics of it. I know the tank doesn't look too great right now but I've everything that I cut grows back fuller and healthier and I get everything squared away it should be back to where it was. I also am going to add the 2 LED lights I mentioned earlier later and finally try to grow that HC carpet. So hang in there!!

I couldn't attach a picture for some unknown reason so I uploaded this video...it says its still processing...anyways I also am planning on getting some new plants whenever it gets warmer and I have ordered GLA's green fert pack and am going to start PPS-Pro fert dosing. I just received my gram weight and the ferts come the 31st. Also, what type of root tabs do you recommend? I'm using AquariumPlants roots tabs currently and I was wondering if there are any better ones out there. Also- what brand of Iron fert is best for color? And what's the best- liquid or root tabs for iron? Sorry if that made no sense.

Never mind! The video worked. If you have trouble viewing it I can try to upload the pictures. Sorry for exploding your emails with all these replies lol.

Alright y'all I got the videos to work. But it will only work if you are using an actual computer, not a mobile device for some reason. So...what do you guys think so far?

The root tabs from Aquarium Plants are good, been using them for a year now and my plants speak for themselves. As for iron you really don't need any extra as there is enough in the micro mix, I rarely use extra anymore but used to use Flourish Iron liquid a couple times a week.

The root tabs from Aquarium Plants are good, been using them for a year now and my plants speak for themselves. As for iron you really don't need any extra as there is enough in the micro mix, I rarely use extra anymore but used to use Flourish Iron liquid a couple times a week.

Alright cool. Do you have an algae team? Like shrimp or crabs or something? Oh and I'm running to my lfs today- what food do you recommend for angels? I've been using New life Spectrum Thera + A and they seem to like it but I want to give them a varied diet also.

Also when would be a good time to stop with all the WC's? I have slowly been decreasing them over the days an now I'm just doing about 25% two times a day.

Alright cool. Do you have an algae team? Like shrimp or crabs or something? Oh and I'm running to my lfs today- what food do you recommend for angels? I've been using New life Spectrum Thera + A and they seem to like it but I want to give them a varied diet also.

If your tank is balanced you really don't need an algae team. No crabs in my tanks, do keep ghost shrimp but mostly for supplimental food for the angels if they can catch them and just to forage any left over food items. I have oto's and the BNP but have to suppliment with veggies 2-3 times a week since there is pretty much only bio-film for them to eat on.

As for food I mainly use the NLSpectrium and suppliment with a small meal of frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms weekly and about every 3rd day I feed cooked, deshelled, smashed peas with their normal pellets. The added veggie matter keeps the angels from munching on the plants so much.

As for WC's you can probably stay on your 25% daily for a couple more days then go back to your regular weekly WC schedule.

Ok I'll just stick with the nerites and the few Amano shrimp I have left if any...so is there any special way to prepare the cooked foods? What foods can you cook? I'll have to have my wife cook though because if I try, I'll end up poisoning the fish lol.

Update 27.12.12

Ok so I just tested my water parameters and I have Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 0-5 and pH: What raises that nitrate up? I want to shoot for at least 5-10ppm it's almost at 0...anyways I added the LED lights and it brings out a lot more color and the 8,000K definitely gives a shimmer to the water. All the fish are acting a lot better and I have noticed a significant amount of that ugly fungus stuff gone so that's good..I actually found 2 living Amano shrimp! I guess since the parameters are a little bit back to normal they came out from hiding :) I have about 12 nerite snails still living and the substrate is finally clean and the water is crystal! The C02 drop checker is green and I just turned on my C02 system again. Still have a little bit of algae on the plants but hopefully that will go away soon but I have to watch out because of the new lights. Ill try to post another video- they seem to do the tank more justice:) sadly my iPhone has water damage so you won't be able to hear me-the mic is dead :( but the camera works!

Back
Top Bottom