Updated water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was running my own tap water mix, this is my first week of cycling and i put a few corals in there. I changed my water 30 percent and put in my LFS water with a few bio bacteria mixes. Am i good? Will the corals survive the cycle?

I have a 40g wwith

6 turbo snails
2 clown fish
10 hermit crabs
2 tester fist
2 emerald crabs
3 pieces of coral (torch, polyp, xenia)
1 cleaner shrimp

My other cleaner shrimp and one fish died, the hermits and cleaner shrimp ate half of them. Please ANY advice will go a long way at this point ;) thanks

This is a pic

image-2046142586.jpg

I need my water to be boss! Plz advice for my little ones!

Not sure if coral will make it or not but if its only been set up for a week its too early to put anything in there.

tilton.s11 said:
Not sure if coral will make it or not but if its only been set up for a week its too early to put anything in there.

Why too early? I have bio bacteria and bunch of live rock. Also is it good for me to attatch a wet dry refugium with the modified protein skimmer bak pak CPR ?? Its 500 buks for the good one

I think my cigg smoke is poisoning my open ceiling tank, yes?

Does it make a difference if i smoke that dro?

your tank will take 4-6 weeks to cycle before ANYTHING is put in, you will most likely lose everything you have put in during the cycling. Also you should only use rodi water, NEVER tap. Please return the corals and slow down and research, there are no shortcuts in reefing.

Gazwaz said:
I was running my own tap water mix, this is my first week of cycling and i put a few corals in there. I changed my water 30 percent and put in my LFS water with a few bio bacteria mixes. Am i good? Will the corals survive the cycle?

I have a 40g wwith

6 turbo snails
2 clown fish
10 hermit crabs
2 tester fist
2 emerald crabs
3 pieces of coral (torch, polyp, xenia)
1 cleaner shrimp

My other cleaner shrimp and one fish died, the hermits and cleaner shrimp ate half of them. Please ANY advice will go a long way at this point ;) thanks

Are you really serious in taking advice from experienced aquarists from this forum? Sorry if I sound harsh but you already got good advice on your other post and it seams that you already made up your mind on how you want to start your saltwater aquarium. Good luck though.

I am good man, the bio bacteria will help the nitrates get lower. We can all beat thy cycle if we believe together!

Show me what a cycle looks like, so i can feel ur pain plz

If your tanks only been up for a week, those coral and CUC were nothing more than a waste of money. The fish you had that have already died are proof of that. IMO, the bacteria in a bottle is nothing more than a waste of money as well. Sure, it may speed up the cycle, but not make it all set in a week, especially for corals. If I were you, I'd return the fish and coral and cleaner shrimp. Snails and hermits MIGHT be ok, but that's a lot of stress for them with the param spikes

But it appears you don't really want to do it right and take your time if you've already been informed, so I hope I'm not wasting my time.

Im saying, if i use live fish to cause bacteria that eats up what killed it in the first place, and save the future fish. Then I could have the corals decompose or die off and the bacteria formed would keep future corals happy!! Am i thinking straight? Also, should i invest in EcoSystems Pro Series Hang in Back Pro60 Wet/dry Filter? It has a modified CPR protein skimmer back pack

Gazwaz said:
I am good man, the bio bacteria will help the nitrates get lower. We can all beat thy cycle if we believe together!

Bottled bacteria, IF the batch you got was any good and wasnt exposed to heat or cold during shipping will speed up the cycling process, which would in turn RAISE nitrates not lower them.

You need to test daily for ammonia and continously perform water changes with ro/di salt water since you've decided to fish in cycle the tank. Even with the bottled bacteria and live rock you will inevitably have an ammonia spike causing your fish to suffer a painful death.

I've used one the bacteria bottles and maybe I'm a special case but it worked for me cycle was about a week tested water everyday and saw all the steps of a cycle and even had my lfs test it a few times

Yeah...ive gotta step in and say I've used the bottled bacteria as well and all three times my cycle was about a week, or less. I used Dr Tims, which to me seems different than the typical store bought stuff. Public aquariums with what I assume are experts use this stuff.

As far as this post...sure seems like advice is not being taken seriously, so I won't waste much time...No, buying corals to let die is not a good idea. A couple fish might be okay, more than that will likely overload the bottled bacteria and cause problems. Moving way too fast IMO.

Yea agreed even though I used the stuff still waited like two weeks for my first fish which was a damsel and like 3 months for corals...slow down and tank will flourish go fast and no bueno haha

I agree it speeds up but it cant reach a proper balance instantly, hence the need fo r daily testing and water changes if needed

I got these snail like things coming from one of my live rocks. Is this a good snail?

image-58964324.jpg

Attachments

• image-146990691.jpg
    image-146990691.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 83
Not the big turbo snail obviously, the small brown and red dot one

Bump! Please tell me what that small snail thing is

Back
Top Bottom