Upgrading AGAIN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry if this is posted twice. The first time I got an "connection error" message and couldn't find my post anywhere (not even in my subscribed list. Using the app).

Once again, I am upgrading. I know, I know...but guyyyys I found a 50 gallon (with stand, filter, and bunch of other accessories) for only 85$ at an estate sale!!! I swear this will be the LAST upgrade (not only because my husband will kill me...when he finds out lol (haven't picked it up yet! Get it tues) but because lack of space. So I couldn't even if I wanted). So y'all know I just upgraded from my 20 to a 30 a couple months ago. I didn't experience any mini cycle, but I fear with it being such a large upgrade I will! Thank god I haven't received my lights yet (due to back orders), going to just get a bigger version for my 50!

What can I do to prevent a mini cycle? Should I throw in extra filters now? And run in new filter (along with old filter). Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I would just love to not have to cycle the entire tank from scratch.

Running multiple filters will help you out immensly. Even adding some extra filter pads on the old for now would be a good idea just to get bacteria colonized quickly.

Will you be keeping the old tank running, or shutting it down with the 50? If shutting it down you can run both filters on the new tank side by side and that should help.

I personally always keep 2 filters running on every tank just because I know I add new tanks all the time. And that way I have a back up if one shorts out or can put one on the new tank to cycle fast and add a new one to an old tank.

Running multiple filters will help you out immensly. Even adding some extra filter pads on the old for now would be a good idea just to get bacteria colonized quickly.

Will you be keeping the old tank running, or shutting it down with the 50? If shutting it down you can run both filters on the new tank side by side and that should help.

I personally always keep 2 filters running on every tank just because I know I add new tanks all the time. And that way I have a back up if one shorts out or can put one on the new tank to cycle fast and add a new one to an old tank.

I'm about to jam as many filter pads as I can into the filter LOL. I'm going to take down the 30g and sell it and everything that goes with it (lights. Lid and filter). But will run old filter on 50g until it sells.

So couple more questions.

What cheaper sand is good for fish and plants? (Like that you buy from Home Depot/other home improvement stores). I know this has been asked 1000xs over, but I always read different! Like what brand, size ect. And did you put any laterite (or anything else) under it? I usually get aquarium sand but I need so much more sand and it would become really expensive. I think I'm hoping on he black sand wagon =)

Back
Top Bottom