Upgrading Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lanc1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently got rid of my undergravel filter that I had for years and replaced the gravel with pool filter sand. My tank is 29 gallons and I'm pretty sure the HOB waterfall filter I have was just a cheap one from walmart rated for tanks up to 30 gallons.

So anyway, I think its time I upgrade that filter since it will be the only one in the tank now. I have read that you want one that is rated for atleast double your tank size. I was looking on amazon (since i have alot of gift card credit to use there) and noticed that the Marineland Emperor and Marineland Penguin filters are both discounted pretty good.

Can any recommend if either of these filters are pretty good or recommend another brand?

Also, is it possible to have too much filtration? Like if I get the Emperor 280 gallons per hour, that would filter my whole tank over 9 times per hour.. dunno if that is a bad thing or not?

After more research it sounds like the marineland filters are sort of noisy at least compared to the aquaclear ones. But the aquaclear are also more expensive. But if they are quieter and/or work better it might be the better choice.

Also, im still confused on which size to get. On amazon the aquaclear 50 and 70 are basically the same price so does it make sense to get the 70 then or is there such a thing as too much filtration. The aquaclear 30 says its filters at 150 gal/hr.. maybe that is a better choice? Still very confused..

For the difference in price I would go with the aquaclear 70. If your bioload increases in the future you will have enough filter to handle the increase. In my opinion you can't overfilter a tank. You can have too much water flow, but not too much filtration. Just my take on the question. All my tanks have filtration the exceeds 10 times the volume in turnover every hr.

Back
Top Bottom