Upgrading to 200L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha93x

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody.
I currently have a 100L freshwater tank (90cmx37cmx30cm) which has 4 goldfish and 2 weather loaches in it. However, I've purchased a new 200L aquarium and was wondering if anybody has any on advice setting it up and adding my fish? Having never moved my fish out of their current tank I don't want to make any mistakes. I am always wondering how many fish would fit comfortably in this 200L tank, not that I want to acquire anymore, but it always useful to know :)
Finally my current substrate in my tank is sand (which I only added about a month ago - no problems so far!) and I am simply wondering if anybody knows of sand to damage filters, etc. I purchased some lovely new equipment and fear it getting damaged -eek!
Thank you if anybody can assist me.

What sort of filters do you have? Internal, or canister etc?
You'll have people assuming here you have HOB (hang on back) but as you are from around my part of the world, you probably don't ;)

Do you have a new filter with your new tank? What sort is that?
The most important thing is to make sure that your filter is transferred. The easiest way to do this is at the same time as you move the fish, move the old filter over to the new tank.

Something like

* Set up your new tank. Add your substrate and fill with water, you don't need to treat it at this stage.
* Set your new filter and heater going in the tank and leave sitting empty for 3 days to 1 week. Make sure everything is up to temperature.
* On the day of the move take 50% of the water out of the new tank and move across all your ornaments from the old tank to the new.
* Move the old filter into the new tank and have that running there alongside the old filter.
* Once the old tank is empty, apart from the sand, move the fish, best if you can lift them in a cup, if not you'll have to net them.
* Fill up the empty 50% of the new tank with water from the old tank.
* Check your water parameters every day.
* After about 2 weeks, if you can, turn down the flow rate on your old filter to allow the new one to pick up the slack.
* After about 6 weeks you should be able to remove your old filter.

As for the sand, I changed to it myself too, and yeah, it looks fantastic but can't half cause bother with getting into equipment. Underwater air pumps only lasted a couple of weeks before they failed. I'm sure sand getting into my internal filter caused it to almost grind to a halt, and the replacement filter ended up covered in the stuff. Looks great, but more trouble than it's worth.

I've also recently changed to a new tank and got some very small stoned gravel instead which is catfish friendly, but stays put and is too big to be drawn into filters etc. I wouldn't try to move the sand from your old tank to the new one, far too much hassle compared with getting a new batch.

As for the stocking, you're on 50 litres per goldfish, which is about the minimum you can get away with anyway, if you want them to live a decent length of time, unless you want to add some additional very small fish in there.

Thanks for replying Mark.

I have an Fluval Plus Internal Filter in my tank at the moment and my new tank comes with a Fluval U4 Internal Filter (however I was considering changing to external but not sure yet!)

Thanks for the advice for setting up my new tank i'll be all set to do it after Christmas hopefully :) I'm sure i'll have no problems moving my goldfish but do you have any suggestions for transferring my weather loachs? (the larger one in particular lol.)

When would I treat the water in the new tank?(I noticed you said not to treat it at the first stage)

I think I might consider just sticking with some small stoned gravel as i'd have to buy another batch of sand anyway :) Do you know what make of fine gravel you purchased?

Thanks again for your help I appreciate it!

I have an Fluval Plus Internal Filter in my tank at the moment and my new tank comes with a Fluval U4 Internal Filter (however I was considering changing to external but not sure yet!)

Good stuff. Should just be a matter of putting the old internal into the tank and let it run then. If you think you want to get an external then go for it, now is the time! Although I appreciate they are expensive when you are getting an internal with your new tank.

Thanks for the advice for setting up my new tank i'll be all set to do it after Christmas hopefully :) I'm sure i'll have no problems moving my goldfish but do you have any suggestions for transferring my weather loachs? (the larger one in particular lol.)
I don't, sorry!

When would I treat the water in the new tank?(I noticed you said not to treat it at the first stage)
It's not that you shouldn't, it's just that you don't have to! As long as the water is treated at some point before you put the fish into it. Plus when setting up a new tank having the chlorine in there for a while is a useful disinfectant!

I think I might consider just sticking with some small stoned gravel as i'd have to buy another batch of sand anyway :) Do you know what make of fine gravel you purchased?
Can't remember the exact name, but it was from Maidenhead Aquatics.

Back
Top Bottom