Upgrading to larger aquarium help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys and gals!

So I decided to take the plunge and upgrade form a 50 gallon to a 75 gallon. My current 50 gallon has 2 marineland emperor 400 filters on them and a sponge filter connected to a tetra 60 gal air pump, So I don't think I need to upgrade my filtration. My original tank was all painted black with black sand and I really hate the look so I painted the new tank light blue. I intend on using a new substrate for the new tank because black darkens all my discus. I intend on using white pool filter sand. My question is: If I upgrade my aquariums do I need to transfer the substrate from my old tank to my new tank or do I have enough beneficial bacteria in my filters to prevent a mini cycle when I upgrade? Also should I transfer the water from my old fish tank to my new one?

Thank you for the help!

I think by using the old filters from your 50 gallon and the sponge Filter should be perfect

I think by using the old filters from your 50 gallon and the sponge Filter should be perfect

Thank you so much! So it would be fine if I didn't use the old substrate to seed the new tank as well? Thanks again:)

No problem! Most of your BB lives in your filters so I think you will be good!

Just make sure you wash wash wash wash that pool filter sand! It took me 6 hours to wash 60 pounds!

Just make sure you wash wash wash wash that pool filter sand! It took me 6 hours to wash 60 pounds!

Wow I didn't think it would take long to rinse pool filter sand. Thanks for the heads up!:)

Back
Top Bottom