Upgrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, I just went through this. It all depends, old isn't bad. In many ways it is good, a mature has already gone through it's nitrogen cycle. It may have a small cycle when moved, but there are other factors as I have recently learned.

Care- Has the tank been maintained properly. I would advise taking a test kit and checking the water, see that everything is in order.

Condition- Does all of the equipment work, check EVERYTHING. Be cautious, if they say a bulb is burned, make them connect one that does work to show you the ballast indeed works. Go over the pump, sump, skimmer, look for anything wrong. Verify that everything works. See that the stand and canopy are in good condition and don't have wood rot. Check the seals for any sign of leaking.

If everything checks out, then age shouldn't matter. In fact it can be a good thing. If you decide to buy the tank then be prepared. Here is how I would break down the set up.

Take plenty of buckets with lids. When you arrive, disconnect all power and equipment. Remove the canopy (If applicable), any lights, and get all electronics out of the way. Begin draining the water, take out about 30-50% of the water and stop. Now remove the rock and ensure it stays submerged in saltwater, seal the buckets with lids. I marked which buckets had rock and which didn't. Capture any livestock and put them in a container, if you use a bucket, have an air stone and heater ready to use. Finish draining the tank. I would throw out the substrate and get fresh sand, or whatever you choose.

Set the tank up as you would if it was new. Check the levels carefully in the event you do experience a cycle.

if you're not talkign about an already setup tank but an empty one check the seals maybe sure they are all tight and not coming off the glass. if the seals are hard then thats not a good thing either they would have to be replaced which is actually an easy thing to do. all you'd have to do is go to home depot and purchase 100% sillicone GE #1 or DAp 100% sillicone and apply it with a calking gun.

make sure there are no cracks or chips and that inbetween the glass there is no black mildew, this would indicate the need for redoign the joins, same as redoign the seals.

glass doesn't usually wear out unless subject to high heat and vibration which most aquariums are not, so all that needs to be done is joints and seals if you want to be 100% sure it won't leak.

i'd buy a used older tank and for an extra $20 for the security of knowing it won't leak around the glass is just as good as buying something new.

i was considerign buying a used 150 gallon with 20 gallon sump and stand for $150, the aquarium was 22 years old and had 3 days down time in those 22 years. only thing that stopped me from gettign it was i wasn't goign to set it up right away and my parents wouldn't let me store it in the basement :( its long been sold :( the dimensions were 72x18x28 would have been a sweet reef when i would have eventually set it up

Back
Top Bottom